Living Outside of the U.S. Wishing to Apply for Student Visa

Applying for Student Visa

Step 1: Apply to Hinds CC

  • Apply Online
  • Send transcripts to evaluation company
  • Send bank document
  • Send signed Affidavit form
  • Send proof of English proficiency

Step 2: Send Documents to international office

  • An I-20 will be sent to you
  • Apply for a student visa at your nearest U.S. Embassy

In order to apply for a student visa to come to the U.S. and study, you must be issued an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status) by the college. Before we can issue this document to you, you must submit all of the following:


You will receive a general “acceptance letter” by email once this application has been submitted correctly.

Transcript from Secondary School or College

Transcripts must be evaluated in the United States by a NACES certified evaluation company. Hinds posts a list of recommended evaluation companies you may use.


The affidavit is a form of agreement that must be signed by the student and the student’s sponsor. The sponsor may be a parent, relative, friend, or agency who agrees to pay for the student’s expenses while attending college. The sponsor must submit bank documents as evidence that they possess sufficient funds to cover one year of expenses for the student.

Note: Students who have been awarded athletic scholarships may subtract the scholarship amount from the amount necessary for the Affidavit-of-support. Athletic coaches are responsible for recruiting team members and will notify the international student office of any scholarships they wish to offer.

Financial Documentation

The financial document must be a letter from the bank of the student sponsor or a bank statement from within six months of the student’s start date at the college.

Proof of English Proficiency

Students may not be issued an I-20 without first proving that they are proficient in English, unless the student is from a country whose national language is English. Students may prove English proficiency with the following minimum scores on a TOEFL or IELTS exam:

  • IELTS: (iBT) 61
  • TOEFL: 6.0

The college may also assess English proficiency through personal interview (when possible) or other forms of testing if TOEFL or IELTS are not available.

Helpful FAQs

Should I plan to live on campus?

Yes. Unless you have family or someone else to live with in the U.S., it is recommended that you live on campus, as it is difficult to obtain off-campus housing near campus. To reserve a room on campus go to the Housing portion of our website.

Which campus should I attend?

While you may attend any campus, remember that only the Raymond and Utica campuses offer on-campus housing. Also, some degree programs may only be offered on certain campuses.

Do I need a Social Security number for the Hinds application?

No. You do not need a Social Security number to fill out the Hinds application. The field that requires a Social Security number only applies to those students who are eligible to receive federal financial aid—international students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid.

How do I schedule classes?

Once you have been admitted to the college, you may schedule remote advising in order to have a counselor to work with you and create a course schedule. The international student advisor may also help with this process. Please note that you must take a placement exam prior to creating a schedule if you have not submitted SAT or ACT scores.

What if I want to apply for Nursing or another health-related program?

Certain programs have secondary admissions criteria that you must meet, or a selection process. For example, to apply for the Associate Degree in Nursing program, you must have an ACT score of 18 or higher, and must have completed Sociology, Anatomy and Physiology I and II. Therefore, most international students choose to take general courses for one or two semesters to prepare for applying to special programs.

How do I pay the visa application fee?

The visa application fee must be paid before your visa appointment. You may pay this fee at

Is there any financial aid available to international students?

Unfortunately, federal financial aid is not available to international students. Some students may apply for limited Foundation Scholarships, but only a small number of these are applicable for international students.

Can I get a job in the U.S.?

International students, under normal circumstances, are not allowed to work off-campus. Working off-campus without approval is a violation of the student’s I-20. When jobs are available, students are allowed to work on-campus. In certain circumstances students may qualify for Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training that is related to their studies, but this is never guaranteed, and can never take place within a student’s first year.

Can I apply for a driver’s license?

International students may apply for a Mississippi driver’s license after the beginning of their first semester. In order to apply for a Mississippi Driver’s license, you will to take your I-20, I-94, and your birth certificate translated into English by a U.S. translation service.