Foundation Scholarships are given by the Hinds Community College Foundation and are awarded on a competitive basis to students who demonstrate academic excellence, involvement in extracurricular activities, financial need, and a desire for achievement.
Complete all requirements listed below by February 15 for consideration by the Foundation Scholarship Committee.
How To Apply
- Submit an Application for Admission to Hinds CC, and you’ll receive your student ID and HindsNet login credentials via email.
- Using your HindsNet login credentials, log in to the ScholarshipUniverse portal. From there, you’ll answer a series of questions about yourself that may match you to potential Foundation Scholarships. If you match to one or more Foundation Scholarships, you will be eligible to submit the Foundation Scholarship Application in the ScholarshipUniverse portal.
- Upload to ScholarshipUniverse two letters of recommendation from individuals representing areas such as school, church, community, civic, work, etc. Tip: your recommender may provide you with a typed letter, or your recommender may use this standard recommendation form.
- Upload to ScholarshipUniverse a typed resume to your Foundation Scholarship Application in ScholarshipUniverse. This should include a list of achievements, honors, extracurricular activities, work, etc.
- Upload to ScholarshipUniverse an unofficial copy of your current or most recent transcript. Transcripts must verify a current cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. No Foundation Scholarship application will be considered if a candidate’s GPA is below 2.0. Please note: transcripts submitted with your Foundation Scholarship application are not used for admission purposes.
- Submit official ACT scores to the Office of Admissions. Please note: you will not upload ACT scores to your scholarship application. Official ACT scores are sent directly to Hinds from National ACT or via an official high school transcript sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Optional: for students wishing to be considered for a Foundation Scholarship on the basis of financial need, submit FAFSA results to Hinds by February 15.
- After matching to a Foundation Scholarship, you can begin the Foundation Scholarship Application in ScholarshipUniverse, save your progress, and come back to it later! But you will not be able to submit this scholarship application unless your letters of recommendation, resume, and transcript have been uploaded to the application by the deadline.
- If you match to more than one Foundation Scholarship and you are selected as a recipient, you will only receive one of the Foundation Scholarships to which you matched.
Receiving a Foundation Scholarship
If awarded a Foundation Scholarship, you will be notified via your Hinds email account, so be sure to check it regularly! After receiving an award notification, the following will be required to receive and retain the award:
- Accept the Foundation Scholarship in ScholarshipUniverse.
- Compose a thank you letter in ScholarshipUniverse to the individual donor who is providing the Foundation Scholarship.
- Attend a Scholarship Reception each year the Foundation Scholarship is awarded to you if your donor attends. Recipients who are required to attend a Scholarship Reception will be notified of the reception date ahead of time via their Hinds email.
- Enroll in and be marked present in 15 or more credit hours each semester (unless otherwise noted by the individual donor criteria).
- Complete each semester with 12 or more credit hours.
- Maintain the cumulative GPA required by the individual donor criteria. Cumulative GPA includes all credit earned at Hinds, even while dual-enrolled.
For more information, please see the Foundation Scholarship Policy in the student handbook or call 601-857-3744.