Center of Excellence for Cybersecurity
The goal of the Center of Excellence for Cybersecurity at Hinds Community College is to proactively increase our understanding of robust information assurance and cyber defense technology, policy and practices that will enable our Nation to effectively prevent and respond to a catastrophic cyber event. This program will contribute significantly to the advancement of state-of-the-art IA/CD knowledge and practice.
Hinds Community College has been designated by the National Security Agency as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity (NCAE-C) and is a member of the CAE in Cybersecurity Community.
The Hinds Community College’s CAE vision is to:
- Provide a program that is committed to excellence in the field of Cyber Defense education.
- Strengthen the cybersecurity workforce by providing Cyber Defense education through certifications and an Associate of Applied Science degree program.
- Build an effective education pathway model with K-12 schools to encourage students at an early age to enter cybersecurity fields of study.
- Provide the Nation with a pipeline of qualified students poised to become the future skilled technical workforce.
- Continuously improve the quality of its Cyber Defense Education program, curriculum, faculty, students, and other institutions.
The Center of Excellence for Cybersecurity at Hinds Community College strives to promote cybersecurity awareness not only to students and employees at college but also to our community. Using webinars, career fairs, campus visits, being advisory board members, providing non-academic cybersecurity courses, showcases, and other activities the center connects and informs the public of the importance of cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity Program of Study
The Cybersecurity Technology option offers training in the areas of confidentiality, integrity, and availability in information security. Students will learn to install, design, manage, operate, plan, and troubleshoot a secure information technology infrastructure.
This program leads to an Associate of Applied Science Degree and is preparatory for employment upon graduation from Hinds Community College.
Cybersecurity Resources and News
Below are various cybersecurity and government sites that provide information on cybersecurity as well as list some of the agencies and organizations responsible for securing the United States.
Cybersecurity News and Events
Hinds CC News and Events
Aug. 2, 2022 – David Rose presents with Jamie Gruich of MGCCC at the MCCB Summer Conference. The presentation covered IST curriculum, including Cyber Security Technology.
July 27–28, 2022 – VP Sherry Bellmon attends the NCAE-C Executive Leadership Forum on the Harrison County Campus of MGCCC.
June 12-16, 2022 – Hinds student, Mariah Taylor, travels to Las Vegas after being selected to Cisco’s “Dream Team” to support Cisco Live! While at the conference, Mariah earns her CCNA certification!
June 2, 2022 – Hinds Community College receives NSA Program of Study validation approval for Cyber Security Technology (AAS).
April 28, 2022 – Cyber Security Technology student, Rebekah Olsen, is awarded a Microsoft Cybersecurity Scholarship, which is powered by the Last Mile Education Fund.
April 28, 2022 – Hinds Community College holds its 4th Annual Cybersecurity Showcase. John Prystupa and Michael Spotts tied for 1st place. Andrew Lindsey took 2nd place. Jonathan Berch took 3rd place.
March 23–April 13, 2022 – Several volunteer students help configure and install network equipment for a non-profit organization, the Jackson Resource Center. The students worked with a firewall security appliance, router, and switches, while also implementing VLANs for network security.
Feb. 25, 2022 – Hinds CC instructors, Jim Dismuke and James Finch, provide cybersecurity information to students at the Richland Career Fair.
Feb. 18, 2022 – Hinds hosts the Mississippi Vex Robotics State Championship at the Clyde Muse Center. The Center of Excellence for Cybersecurity maintained a booth to provide Cybersecurity awareness information to attendees.
- National Cyber League
- Western Regional Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition
- US Cyber Challenge
- CSAW Capture the Flag
- Mitre Cyber Academy
- Cyber Start America – Earn scholarships
- CSAW Capture the Flag
- Mitre Cyber Academy – Earn scholarships
Hinds CC Competitions
- Wireless Security Quiz Bowl – This event is held during the fall semester.
- Cybersecurity Showcase Competition – This event is held during the spring semester.
All Hinds students are encouraged to participate in these events. For exact dates, please contact the Center of Excellence for Cybersecurity director.
Information Assurance, Cyber Security and Security Related Sites
- Multi-State Information Sharing & Analysis Center (MS-ISAC)
- National Center For Systems Security And Information Assurance (CSSIA)
- National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE)
- National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- WiCyS – Women in Cybersecurity
Hinds CC Cybersecurity Resources
Faculty & Industry Support
Advisory Board Statement & Members
Hinds Community College is grateful to have high-quality and supportive Advisory Board members, who volunteer their expertise and time to provide guidance for the advancement of the center, students, college, and community.
- Ryan Allen – ConvergeOne
- Jerry Ballard – ERDC
- Steven Blanchard – Mississippi Lottery Commission
- Terry Carr – Hinds Community College / Retired
- Rigobelto Cedeno – Lithic LLC
- JoAnn Cooper – Hinds Community College / Retired
- Scott Donnan – Mississippi Lottery Commission
- Sam Ferrell – Sanderson Farms
- Jake Hampton – TechSystems, USA
- Jeff Holland – ERDC
- James McNair – Trustmark National Bank
- Roderick Parker – Apple
- Mark Scutch – Amazon
- Ryan Stephens – Upton Technologies
- Jeff Walters – AT&T
- Nishuta Anugu
- Jim Dismuke
- James Finch
- David Rose
- Rigobelto Cedeno
- Justin Eaves
- Sam Ferrell
- Jake Hampton
- Bryan Keller
- James McNair
Connect With Us
Whether you are a current student, potential student, member of the community, in the IT field, or work in a private or public entity, we want to connect with you. If you are interested, want more information, or desire to take part with us, please contact: