Our Surgical Technology program is a one-year curriculum that will prepare you to work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and other surgical personnel before, during, and after surgery. Surgical Technologists work extensively with surgical instruments, supplies, and equipment to provide a safe surgical experience for each patient. The Surgical Technology program begins every August and lasts for one year (three semesters).
Surgical technology changes frequently, and keeping up with the latest and greatest takes patience and hard work. The Surgical Technology program at Hinds Community College is a wonderful first step towards a career with a variety of options available to you as a surgical technician in surgical centers, inpatient and outpatient hospitals, surgical supply companies, or medical equipment sales.
Certified technologists can work in hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, surgeons’ offices, and in materials management or central processing. They are also qualified for the field of medical products and sales. To view jobs related to this program visit O*Net Online.
- Nursing Allied Health Center
Important Program Information
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing Allied Health Center counselor at 601-376-4807.
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
|Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Anatomy and Physiology II, Lecture & Lab||4|
|English Composition I||3|
|Fundamentals of Surgical Technology||3|
|Principles of Surgical Technology||7|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3|
|Basic & Related Surgical Procedures||8|
|Specialized Surgical Procedures||8|
|Public Speaking I or Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Advanced Surgical Procedures||9|
- Application for Admission to Hinds Community College
- Application for Selection to the Surgical Technology Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 (15 if taken before October 1989)
- Effective for Fall 2022 applications will be available March 1 thru July 31 with preference given to applications completed by April 15.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score, ACT Math and Reading subscores; SUT Program prerequisite letter grades; highest previous certificate or degree; and military experience. Individuals will receive points upon completion of the following courses with at least a grade of “C”:
- ENG 1113 – English Composition I or ENG 1114
- BIO 2511 – Anatomy and Physiology I, Laboratory and BIO 2513 – Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture
- BIO 2521 – Anatomy and Physiology II, Laboratory and BIO 2523 – Anatomy and Physiology II, Lecture
Prerequisites for the First Surgical Technology Course
- Completion of the following college courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab (BIO 2513 and BIO 2511)
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab (BIO 2523 and BIO 2521)
- English Composition I (ENG 1113)
- Pre-College Algebra (MAT 1133)
- Humanities Elective
The Hinds Community College Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (www.arcstsa.org).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 – 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
19751 E, Mainstreet, Suite 339
Parker, CO 80138