Our Practical Nursing program prepares you to assist in providing general nursing care. This requires basic knowledge of the biological, physical, behavioral, psychological, and sociological sciences as well as nursing procedures which do not require the substantial skills, judgment, and knowledge required of a registered nurse. This care is performed under the direction of a registered nurse, licensed physician, or dentist. The graduate of the program functions as a provider of care, a member of a profession, and a manager deﬁned in the Mississippi Competency Model 1997.
There are few careers as noble as nursing. Hinds Community College’s Practical Nursing program is a great first step toward a fulfilling career full of opportunities. You’ll not only get the skills you need but the hands-on experience and mentorship crucial to your future success.
Our Generic option is offered in August and January at the Nursing & Allied Health Center, and in January on the Rankin and Vicksburg campuses. The application and file completion deadline for August is March 31st. The application and file completion deadline for January is September 30th.
Our Part-Time Evening and Weekend option is offered at the Nursing & Allied Health Center beginning each summer term. The application and file completion deadline for this option is March 31st.
Important Program Information
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Career Certificate
|1||Practical Nursing Foundations||15|
|2||Intermediate Practical Nursing F.S.||16|
|3||Advanced Practical Nursing F.S.||12|
|1||Practical Nursing Foundations||15|
|2||Intermediate Practical Nursing F.S.||12|
|3||Advanced Practical Nursing F.S.||16|
1st Semester (Summer)
|Fundamentals of Nursing Theory||6|
2nd Semester (Fall)
|Body Structure and Function||3|
|Fundamentals of Nursing Lab/Clinical||6|
3rd Semester (Spring)
|IV Therapy and Pharmacology||4|
|Medical/Surgical Nursing Clinical||2|
4th Semester (Summer)
|Mental Health Nursing||4|
5th Semester (Fall)
|Alterations in Adult Health||4|
|Alterations in Adult Health Clinical||2|
- Application for Hinds Community College
- Practical Nursing Application
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency), or college transcript. (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.).
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 with reading and math ACT subscores of 18 or above. A “C” or higher in College Algebra can be substituted for the 18 subscore in math. OR ACT composite score of 16 and TEAS® V for Nursing students with a score of Proficient Level.
- Register for TEAS®.
- The TEAS® test may be taken as many times as needed to score the proficient level. However, you must wait 30 days between exams.
- TEAS® Test Information:
- Please contact a counselor at the Nursing/Allied Health Center if your ACT was taken before October 1989 for further instructions.
- Applicants who have been enrolled in another Practical Nursing program within the last four (4) years must be eligible to return to that program and must provide a letter of good standing from the Practical Nursing program attended in order to be considered for admission in the Practical Nursing Program.
- Applicants with two (2) withdrawals or failures from Hinds’ Practical Nursing program or any previous Practical Nursing program/course are not eligible for admission within four (4) years from the date of the last nursing course taken. If it has been more than four (4) years from the last practical nursing course taking, applicants:
- Must meet all current admission requirements;
- Do not have to provide a letter of good standing.
- For the Practical Nursing program night option selection is made once a year. Applications will be available from January 1st thru March 31st with all admission requirements completed by March 31st.
- For the Practical Nursing program day option at the Nursing/Allied Health Center campus selection is made twice a year. For Fall, applications will be available from January 1st thru March 31st with all admission requirements completed by March 31st. For Spring, applications will be available July 1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th.
- For the Practical Nursing program Vicksburg campus selection is made once a year. Applications for Spring will be available July 1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th.
- For the Practical Nursing program Rankin campus selection is made once a year. Applications for Spring will be available July 1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th
- Individuals who have submitted all admission requirements by the specified deadline will be considered for program admission/selection based on a rating scale that includes: ACT composite score; ACT Math and Reading subscores; and highest previous certificate or degree. See Practical Nursing Process for Selection Rating Scale.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Practical Nursing Program.
The graduate is prepared to write the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). Licensing of the practical nurse is regulated by the Mississippi Board of Nursing. The program is accredited by:
Mississippi Community College Board
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.
- Directions to Rankin Campus Location
11 Community College Blvd
Pearl, MS 39208