Health Information Technology
Our Health Information Technology program is a two-year technical program leading to an Associate Degree. The program will prepare you to work in hospitals and other health care settings, managing health information in paper and electronic formats. Health Information Technology combines a profession in health care with information technology. Health Information Technicians maintain, collect, and analyze data crucial to the delivery of quality patient care.
Projected by the Bureau of Labor Statistics to be one of the 20 fastest-growing occupations in the United States, health information technology (HIT) is an excellent career choice for the person who is seeking a healthcare profession that combines interests in computer science, business, management, legal procedures, and health care research. The medical world depends on health information specialists to collect data and interpret it, protect it, and determine how it can be used. The future for health information technicians looks bright. Employment opportunities include hospitals, physician offices, insurance companies, law ﬁrms, state and federal health agencies, long-term care facilities, hospice agencies, teaching institutions, and consulting ﬁrms.
- Nursing & Allied Health
Is This Career Right for You?
Are you interested in coding, medical reimbursement and billing, computers, information technology, or business administration? Would you like to be part of the world of medicine without providing direct patient care? Would you like the opportunity to work from home? Do you enjoy diversity? Are you well organized and detail-oriented? Would you like to make a contribution to the welfare of others? If this sounds like you, a career in Health Information Technology could be just right for you!
National Certification Exam
During the graduation semester, the student is eligible to take the national certification exam for Health Information Technicians. The RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) credential is awarded to those who pass the exam.
Important Program Information
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing/Allied Health counselor at 601-376-4807.
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
|Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Anatomy and Physiology II, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Health Record Systems||4|
|Health Care Law and Ethics||3|
|Computer Applications I||3|
|Introduction to Coding||4|
|Health IT Systems||4|
|English Composition I||3|
|Public Speaking I or Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Professional Practice Experience I||2|
|Quality Management & Compliance||3|
|Fine Arts or Humanities Elective||3|
|Professional Practice Experience II||2|
|Advanced Coding Systems||3|
|Certification Fundamentals for HIT||1|
|Revenue Cycle Management||3|
|Health Care Management||3|
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College
- Application for Selection to the Health Information Technology Program. The application will be available from March 1st thru July 31st.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 (15 if taken before October 1989) OR 2.5 cumulative GPA on at least 12 hours with one of the below scores:
- ACT composite score of 17 or
- Accuplacer scores of 88 or higher in English; 46 or higher in Math; 76 or higher in Reading or
- Next-Generation Accuplacer scores of 245 or higher in English; 237 or higher in Math; 246 or higher in Reading
Completion of the following college courses with a grade of “C” or above:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (BIO 2511, BIO 2513) (Not older than 5 years from the start of HIT program)
- The application for selection will be available from March 1st thru July 31st.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 15th for fall admission.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT composite with sub-scores, GPA on HIT program prerequisite letter grades, and highest previous certificate or degree, and military experience. service/certificates/degrees.
- Applicants selected into the program are required to attend a scheduled orientation session.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Health Information Technology Program.
- Admission Selection Score Sheet
The HIT program is a fully online program with the following courses being offered face-to-face or hybrid:
- Health Record Systems
- Introduction to Coding
- Intermediate Coding
- Advanced Coding
- Health Statistics
Professional Practice Experience I and II will require students to attend clinical one day per week at scheduled times during the second year of the program.
Graduation Rate – 64%
Employment Rate – 71%
Student Satisfaction Rate – 100%
Graduation Rate – 77%
Employment Rate – 80%
Student Satisfaction Rate – 100%
Graduation Rate – 82%
Employment Rate – 88%
Student Satisfaction Rate – 100%
The Health Information Technology program at Hinds Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) under the Health Information Management Associate Degree standards. The College’s accreditation has been reaffirmed through 2027. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.