Health Care Assistant
Our Health Care Assistant program will prepare you to assist in providing health care as a member of the health care team under the direction of a health care professional. This curriculum references standards based on the State of Mississippi Nurse Aide Candidate Handbook Exam Content Outline. Graduates of the one-semester program will be awarded the Certificate of Health Care Assistant. If you complete the program, you may qualify for employment as a homemaker, nurse assistant, long-term care aide, home health aide, sitter, and/or phlebotomist.
As a health care assistant, you will provide assessment and care to patients. You will function under the direction of a health care professional. This path offers training for stable career opportunities throughout Mississippi and the United States. An in-demand profession, you’ll be able to launch a career in health care with the experience and education you receive at Hinds Community College.
- Nursing & Allied Health
Important Program Information
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Career Certificate
|Basic Health Care Assisting||6|
|Special Care Procedures||3|
|Body Structure and Function||4|
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College
- Application to the Health Care Assistant Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency), or college transcript. (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT score of 16 (12 if taken before October 1989).
- For fall, applications will be available from March 1st thru July 31st. For Spring, applications will be available from September 1st thru January 1st.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 15th for fall admission and by October 31st for spring admission.
- Individuals who have submitted all admission requirements by the specified deadline will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score; ACT Math and Reading sub-scores; and highest previous certificate or degree.
- Applicants not selected for a class must reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Health Care Assistant Program.
- A limited number of placements are held for TAA-eligible applicants and students who have completed the TSHP program.
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.