Medical Data Technology
Our Medical Data Technology program is a technical curriculum designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to work in health-related fields. As the health care industry continues to transition from a paper health record system to an electronic health record system, the demand for trained medical billing and coding personnel is continuing to increase.
You will be trained to work on the front lines to ensure accurate data input, diagnostic and procedural coding, and claim submission for insurance reimbursement to comply with private, state, and federal laws and regulations. You will develop expertise in organizing and evaluating patients’ health records. In addition to courses like anatomy and physiology, the program covers medical terminology, inpatient and outpatient coding, medical insurance billing, and the legal and ethical aspects of health information.
Medical Data Technology is an excellent program choice if you enjoy patient contact, flexible hours, and the security of employable skills. It is ideal for high school graduates seeking a stable career, parents looking for a profession to coordinate with family responsibilities, or any other adults searching for a second career choice.
- Comprehensive coverage and integration of basic business skills
- Develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills for today’s business world
- Establish a foundation in medical terminology
- Develop skills using accounting, transcription, and computer software applications
- Apply guidelines of medical office appointment scheduling
- Adhere to the ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Diseases, 9th revision, Clinical Modification) coding conventions and official coding guidelines
- Utilize skills, knowledge of currently mandated coding and classification systems, and official resources to select the appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes
- Adhere to the CPT (Current
- Procedural Technology) coding conventions by the rules and guidelines established by the American Medical Association
- Coding Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Insurance Specialist
- Medical Information Secretary
- Medical Records Clerk
- Unit Secretary
- Jackson ATC
Important Program Information
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
- Career Certificate
- Technical Certificate
|Microsoft Word I||3|
|Introduction to Microsoft Office||3|
|Applied Business Mathematics||3|
|Medical Terminology I||3|
|Medical Terminology II||3|
|Microsoft Excel I||3|
|Medical Office Concepts||3|
|Electronic Health Records||3|
|Microsoft Excel II||3|
|Medical Insurance Billing||3|
|Total Hours (includes career certificate course hours)||45|
|Technical English or English Composition I||3–4|
|Public Speaking I or Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3|
|Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Total Hours (includes career and technical certificate course hours)||61–62|
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.