Students with some College Experience

If you have taken classes at another college or university we consider you a transfer student. The FAQs on this page will help guide you as you make your way to Hinds CC.


How do I apply?
  1. Submit a complete application for admission to Hinds CC.
  2. Submit the official transcript from the last college attended showing the completion of at least three credit hours in a Math course and three credit hours in an English course.
  3. If you have not completed at least one Math and one English course on the college level with a “D” or above, submit your official ACT scores.  If you have not taken the ACT, you may take the Accuplacer at any Hinds CC location.

Tip:  If you submit a college transcript during the middle of a semester showing “in-progress” courses, be sure to submit another official transcript after your grades are posted.)

How do I submit official transcripts?

To complete your admission, the transcripts you submit to Hinds must be “official”.

  • Official transcripts are those that are sent directly from your school to Hinds. However, emailed or faxed transcripts from your school are not accepted as official.
  • Hinds accepts official transcripts in these ways:
    1. Your school may mail an official, sealed transcript to this address: Hinds Community College, Office of Admissions, PO Box 1100, Raymond, MS 39154.
    2. Most colleges and some high schools send official electronic transcripts. Official electronic transcripts are sent through a secure, third-party transcript service agency. When you request an electronic transcript, it will be transmitted to Hinds through a secure site and available for us to download. If a Hinds email address is required when you submit a request for an official electronic transcript, you must provide No other email address is accepted. In addition, transcripts emailed to that address are not accepted. This email address is only used for official electronic transcript transmittal.
    3. If you have an official, sealed transcript from your school in your possession, you may mail it or bring it to Hinds only if it remains in the original, sealed school envelope. Opened transcripts are not accepted.
  • In-progress high school transcripts: if you submit a high school transcript before you graduate, you will need to submit another one after you graduate.
  • In-progress college transcripts: if you submit a college transcript showing any coursework as “in-progress”, you will need to submit another one after your grades are posted.

Get more Transcript Tips.

Will Hinds CC accept credit hours from my previous school(s)?

Provided the courses are earned at a state and regionally accredited institution, Hinds will accept them as they correspond to the curriculum of Hinds Community College.

Courses from institutions that are not state and regionally accredited may be accepted after a review by the Registrar with the appropriate department chairperson. In order for the courses to be accepted, the review must find the following:

  • The course syllabus identifies precisely associated content and is aligned with content contained in a very closely associated course at Hinds Community College.
  • The Faculty credentials associated with the course meet the standard set for Hinds Community College faculty.
How many credit hours can I transfer?

Courses and credit up to 46 semester hours (or the equivalent thereof - one quarter hour is equivalent to .67 semester hours) will be accepted as they correspond to the curriculum of Hinds Community College.

A student must complete at least 25% of their semester hours at Hinds in order to graduate. Developmental courses cannot be transferred into Hinds Community College, but may be used for placement purposes.

What if my previous school was not state & regionally accredited?

For transfer work from institutions that are not state and regionally accredited, the student bears the responsibility to provide from the transferring institution to the Registrar’s office the following before a review of the course(s) will be conducted:

  • The course syllabus
  • The appropriate catalog page which describes the course, and
  • The official faculty credentials to the instructor of the course to be transferred. Hinds Community College reserves the right to verify faculty credentials from other institutions prior to accepting transfer work.
How and when can I register for classes?

Once you have met all college admission requirements, you can register at any time during our Open Registration period. No appointment is necessary to register. Simply visit any Hinds CC location during our Open Registration period, or request Remote Advising.

Early registration is encouraged. Once a student is advised, they can register online for future semesters.

Registration occurs in three (3) periods during the year:

  • Early April to late-May (for summer terms)
  • Early April to early August (for fall term)
  • Late October to early-January (for spring term)

Late registration occurs during the first few days of each semester. Students registering during late registration will incur additional fees. Students are encouraged to register early to avoid lines and filled classes. Before registering, you must complete all admission requirements.

View More Registration Information

How do I apply for housing?

Submit the housing application with a $100.00 non-refundable room reservation fee to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. New students will be notified of their room assignment during summer orientation and notifications will be mailed to returning students in June for the Fall and December for the Spring.

Come For A Visit

It only takes one visit to see what sets Hinds Community College apart from other colleges. When you schedule a campus visit, you'll be able to meet with a recruiter, get a personal tour of campus, and interact with other students. Tours are available by appointment at all six Hinds locations.

Next Steps


What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.


At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!

Speak with a Recruiter

We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.


Communications Center
Financial Aid