Financial Aid FAQ’s

What is the FAFSA and how does it work?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application you will need to complete if you are seeking financial assistance to pay for college. Eligibility is based on several factors including family income reported to the IRS, household size/number in college and family assets. Your results are sent to the school and award letter will be available to you on your my.hinds account once the school processes your information. (The FAFSA should be completed annually through the Federal Student Aid website.)

Can I receive Federal financial aid as a part-time student?
Yes. Eligibility is based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC), cost of attendance (COA), and the number of hours you are taking.

How is Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined?
Using information entered on the FAFSA form – Income, household size/number in college, etc. – a standardized formula calculates what a family should be able to contribute to the student’s education.

I’m not sure which program of study to pursue. Can I receive Financial Aid to just take some courses until I decide what my program of study will be?
No, you must select a program of study and be completing classes which apply to a degree in that program of study. If you are planning to transfer to a four-year college or university, your program of study would be an AA Degree. You may also pursue any of our numerous career and technical programs and receive an AAS degree(s) or certificates.

I’m in default because of a previous student loan, can I receive financial aid?
Yes, if you meet certain conditions. Please contact the servicer of your defaulted loan(s) for further information. Your servicer will have to send Hinds CC a letter stating that you are eligible to apply for additional loans.

Do I need a certain grade point average to receive financial aid?
Yes, you must comply with the Hinds Community College Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress, which may be found in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Section on the website.

If I have already earned a bachelors degree, am I still eligible to receive financial aid?
Yes, you may be eligible to receive a student loan. You are not eligible for Pell Grant funds once you have received a bachelors degree. You must still complete the FAFSA. Once the Hinds CC Office of Financial Aid receives the results of your FAFSA, your loan eligibility will be calculated. You will find this eligibility on your my.hinds account.

I have an associate degree from Hinds Community College. Can I receive Financial Aid at Hinds CC to study another program of study?
Yes, you may receive financial aid to pursue an additional program of study. (Review the Hinds Community College Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for additional instructions.)

If I’m on financial aid warning, can I receive financial aid?
Yes, if you are on financial aid warning you may continue to receive financial aid. You must improve your overall GPA and/or Pace to avoid an unsatisfactory status. Please refer to the Hinds Community College Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for GPA and Pace requirements.

If my satisfactory academic progress status is unsatisfactory, can I receive financial aid? If it does become unsatisfactory, does this mean I have to pay for my classes out-of-pocket? What happens to financial aid that was awarded initially?
No, you cannot receive any type of financial aid (including Student Loans), if your status is unsatisfactory. Students are welcome to continue to attend Hinds CC providing they are eligible according to the academic standards. Students may pay their tuition/fees using cash/credit/check or they have the option of setting up a payment plan. Any aid that was initially awarded will be canceled once the student’s status becomes unsatisfactory. Students may monitor their status on their My.Hinds account.

Do I have to be full-time to receive institutional or state aid?
Yes, for certain types of aid, such as scholarships and state grants, you do have to be a full-time student enrolled in fifteen (15) hours or more.

I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
Yes. Many families mistakenly presume that they won’t qualify for aid. There is no charge to apply for financial aid, so it is better to apply to see what you might qualify to receive. Go to the Federal Student Aid website to submit a FAFSA to determine your eligibility.

What expenses can I expect financial aid to cover?
Depending on your financial award, it may cover all or part of the following: tuition/fees, books/supplies, transportation, personal, and miscellaneous expenses.

How much will my family be expected to contribute towards my yearly college costs?
Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated each year you apply for aid (by completing the FAFSA) using a national processing formula called the Federal Methodology. The formula considers your parents and your income and assets, your family size and the number of family members enrolled in college. The EFC will be the same at any college you attend.

Do I have to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to receive student loans?
Yes. To receive any Federal Financial Aid you must submit the FAFSA. Be sure to include Hinds Community College as one of your college choices, using School Code 002407.

How do I apply for a Loan?
Student loans are automatically included in your award packages as estimated. Log in to your My.Hinds account for eligibility and actions needed.

Do I need to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling/Loan Agreement each year?
In most cases, No. The Loan Agreement is active for 10 years unless there is a break in enrollment, you enroll at a new school, the loan agreement expires, or a request is made by the Department of Education.

Do my parents have to complete the student loan process for me?
No. You must log in using your FSA ID and password. If parents are interested in a loan for your educational funding, they must complete a Parent Plus Loan.

What happens when my hours drop below full-time and I have already received your financial aid? How is this handled?
Pell Grant is awarded based on the number of hours you are enrolled in and attending and whether they are full semester or shorter-term classes. To remain eligible for a student loan, you must be enrolled at least half-time [six (6) hours] at the time funds are disbursed to the school. Students who drop below half-time are no longer eligible for loans. Pell Grants will be adjusted according to number of hours enrolled.

When are student loans refunded?
Dates are located on the Financial Aid Refunds page.

Does disbursement mean the same as refund?
No. Disbursement is when funds are first disbursed to the College from the Department of Education to pay any balances owed to the college. Refund is the credit balance that remains after the disbursement has covered all expenses to the College. (Usually 10-14 business days)

Do I need to fill out my FAFSA for the Spring semester?
Financial Aid is awarded for the entire school year in which a student is applying (Fall/Spring/Summer). If a student only enrolls for one semester. Aid will be adjusted for the one semester. Any other aid will be cancelled.

How do I find out if any documents are missing to complete my Financial Aid?
You can log in to your My.Hinds account . Go to the Financial Aid tab on self-service. Here you can access financial aid data, forms, etc.

Did you receive my fax?
Once you send a fax please check your fax confirmation for “sent” status first. Once a fax is successfully sent please allow 24-48 hours for the office to update your file. Please continue to check your My.Hinds account for updates.

I’m a parent and I have a question about my son/daughter’s account.
Students must complete a FERPA form (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) to allow permission for parents, family etc. to call and inquire about their account. Students can receive this form from the Admissions Office.



Communications Center
Financial Aid