Our Veterinary Technology program is a two-year program offered through the Agriculture Department. You will be prepared for careers in both small and large animal practices, medical research facilities, pharmaceutical research, wildlife rehabilitation, humane societies, zoological parks, and government agencies.
You will be given the education and experience you need to perform basic veterinary tasks such as taking client histories and performing physical exams, dispensing and administering medication and vaccines, preparing patients for surgery, monitoring anesthesia, surgical assisting and recovering patients, client education, training and supervision, and medical record keeping.
The veterinary ﬁeld is in-demand and rewarding for those who love and wish to take care of animals. When you graduate from the program and complete the certification exams for both state and national veterinary technicians, you will be a Certificated Veterinary Technician (CVT). As a CVT you’ll be ready for entry-level employment for any number of veterinary technician positions across the country. This is the best first step to a long and rewarding career helping the animals who depend on you.
Important Program Information
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
New Applicants that are interested in the Veterinary Technology program must meet and complete the following requirements as applies:
- Applicant must complete a general Application for Admission to Hinds Community College
- Applicant must complete the Veterinary Technology Selection Application.
- Applicant must complete a minimum of 35 hours of observation in a veterinary clinic
- Applicant must be eligible for ENG 1114 or ENG 1113 OR have scored 231 or higher on NEXT-GEN ACCUPLACER
- Applicant must have scored 17 or higher in Reading on ACT OR have scored 246 or higher on NEXT-GEN ACCUPLACER OR have successfully completed ENG 1114 or ENG 1113.
- Applicant must have scored 15 or higher in Math on ACT OR have scored 237 or higher on NEXT-GENERATION ACCUPLACER OR have successfully completed MAT 1133 or equivalent or a math level higher.
- Applicants must interview for admission to the program.
Fall entrance only
Students that are reapplying for the program must complete the following. Please note that a student will be allowed to reapply for the Veterinary Technology program only one time.
- Complete application to Hinds Community College and have met all admission requirements prior to interview. (If the student has set out one semester he or she must reapply for admissions to the college.)
- Reapply students must complete a Selection Application for the Veterinary Technology program and interview with the selection committee.
- Students that are reapplying applicants must take an Enhancement of Study Skills class (LLS 1413) either prior to the semester to which they will be reapplying OR take LLS 1413 during the semester they reenter the program.
- Application dates to apply for the program: March 1–May 6, 2022
- Deadline for observation hours and other required paperwork: May 23, 2022
- Interviews for the program will be scheduled for June 1–10, 2022
This program is accredited by the
Mississippi Board of Trustees of the State Institutions of Higher Learning:
3825 Ridgewood Rd.
Jackson, MS 39211
American Veterinary Medical Association
1931 North Meacham Rd. Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
Mississippi Board of Veterinary Medicine
1089D Stark Rd.
Starkville, MS 39759
The Veterinary Technology program at Hinds Community College is located at the Raymond Campus in Raymond, MS. Upon completion of the program earned degree is Associate of Applied Science.
July 1, 2018–June 30, 2020
- Number of eligible first-time candidates: 41
- Number of eligible of first-time candidates that have taken VTNE: 41
- Three-year VTNE pass percentage rate: 81.28%
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.