Founded in 1978
Founded in 1978 by college president, Dr. Clyde Muse, the purposes of Hinds Connection are to recruit prospective students to the college and serve as ambassadors at official college events.
As a volunteer student recruiting and public relations team for Hinds Community College, members are carefully selected and trained to recruit for the college and serve as ambassadors in the public and at special events. If you are interested in serving as an ambassador for the college, we invite you to explore Hinds Connection!
- Serve as an ambassador for Hinds at official college events.
- Giving campus tours to prospective students.
- Work at recruiting events such as tailgates, senior days, open houses, and more.
- Attend local high schools with Hinds Recruiters.
- Serve at events sponsored by the Office of Advancement such as receptions, golf tournaments, luncheons, legislative events, and more.
To qualify for Connection, applicants must meet these requirements and must maintain these requirements for membership:
- Be a high school graduate with a 2.5 GPA or above or an ACT composite score of 21 or higher. Applicants who’ve already completed one semester of college after high school graduation must have a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Be a full-time Hinds student enrolled in 15 or more credit hours, with the majority of your classes located on the Raymond Campus.
- Complete 12 or more hours every semester with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Be free of any disciplinary action in high school or college.
- Be of good moral character and integrity.
- Show involvement in extracurricular activities.
- Be supportive of and loyal to Hinds Community College.
How To Apply
To be considered for the 2020-2021 Connection class, all of the following must be completed by the deadline of August 13, 2020:
- Complete the Hinds Connection Application.
- Submit your high school transcript, showing a GPA of 2.5 or above or an ACT composite score of 21 or higher; or submit your college transcript showing a 2.5 GPA or above.
- Provide two letters of recommendation. Recommendation letters should be from individuals who know you well and can attest to your personality, character, and leadership abilities (Teachers, Youth Group Leaders, Counselors, etc. Not family members.)
- Attend a Connection Meet and Greet where you’ll have the opportunity to meet the Sponsors and some current Connection members. You’ll learn more about Connection, the responsibilities and requirements, and view photos of all we did last year!
Connection Meet and Greet
All of the Connection Meet and Greets will be located in the Centennial Room of Fountain Hall on the Raymond campus.
- July 14, 2020 – 5:00 pm
- July 20, 2020 – 3:00 pm
- August 4, 2020 – 5:00 pm
- August 13, 2020 – 5:00 pm
After submitting the requirements and attending a Meet and Greet, select applicants will be contacted for an interview with the Connection Advisory Board. Final candidates selected for the 2020-2021 Hinds Connection class must attend a mandatory training retreat on August 21 – 22, 2020.
Each year, one Connection member receives the Kay Cliffe Memorial Award:
In 1988, Kay Cliffe, came to Hinds as a freshman from St. Louis, Missouri. Her sister, Colleen Hartfield, vice president for Community Relations at Hinds, encouraged her to enroll at Hinds. While at Hinds, Kay was full of life and active in campus life. She was an outstanding Hinds Connection member and was a fierce competitor in intramurals sports, according to Jackie Granberry, sponsor for Hinds Connection and vice president for Institutional Advancement.
Granberry said, “Her beauty was not just on the outside, but truly on the inside as well.” After earning an associate’s degree at Hinds, Kay transferred to Mississippi State University and finished there with a bachelor’s degree in communications. She returned to St. Louis in 1993, began a career in marketing and enrolled in a MBA degree program.
Kay’s life was brought to an untimely and tragic end by a senseless act of domestic violence in February of 1999. Her family and friends, wishing to keep the memory of Kay Cliffe forever alive, have established the Kay Cliffe Kay Cliffe Memorial Award Memorial Award.
The Kay Cliffe Memorial Award is given to a Hinds Connection member who meets the following criteria:
- A second year Hinds Connection member
- Possessing a 2.75 or higher grade point average
- Who exhibits the love of life and love of Hinds Connection that Kay displayed on a daily basis
- Whose beauty is inside as well as outside
- Who blossomed after coming to Hinds and being involved in Hinds Connection
The award recipient will receive a monetary gift as well as a memento of the award. A permanent tribute of the coveted award remains in the Enrollment Management Office and lists the names of all recipients.
2001 – Megan Reeves
2002 – Anna King
2003 – Veronica Shaw
2004 – Christy Granberry
2005 – Courtney Hamil
2006 – Ashley Ray
2007 – Lyndsey Thornton
2008 – Chelsea LeBlanc and Jon Thomas Smith
2009 – Jake Hartfield
2010 – Tatum Turan
2011 – Mark Jimmerson
2012 – Alexander Gandy
2013 – Leigh Sarrett
2014 – Kelsey Robertson
2015 – Marion Lee
If you are interested in giving, please learn more about donating to the Hinds Community College Foundation.
Vice President for Advancement and Student Services & Title IX Coordinator