Why Do We Collect Residency Information?

The Mississippi Community College Board requires our college to collect residency information on our students. Upon review of your admission application, your state residency will be determined. Students who are classified as non-Mississippi residents will be subject to out-of-state tuition and fees.

  • Residency of minors (students under 21 years of age) is determined upon the residency of your parent or legal guardian. If parents of minors move out-of-state during a student’s enrollment, the student will be classified as an out-of-state student.
  • If you are currently a Mississippi resident, but the last school you attended was out of state, you will be classified as an out-of-state student until you submit residency documents.
  • If you were born outside of the U.S., you will be classified as an out-of-state student until you prove both Mississippi and U.S. residency.
  • If you are classified as an out-of-state student, the Office of Admissions and Records will notify you by email and provide you with the opportunity to prove Mississippi residency no later than mid-term of the semester in which you enroll. You will be charged out-of-state tuition and fees until you prove residency.
  • However, establishing Mississippi residency after mid-term of the semester in which you are enrolled will not affect your tuition and fees. Residency must be established before mid-term in order to qualify you for in-state tuition and fees.

Residency documents may be emailed to or brought to an Admissions Office at any Hinds location.

For questions or assistance, please call our Office of Admissions and Records at 601-857-3212 or refer to our online college catalog.

Establishing Mississippi Residency

Submit two of the following documents

  • Current Mississippi Driver’s License or State Issued
    ID (Persons moving into MS on a permanent basis have 60 days per state law to acquire a driver’s license)
  • Mortgage document with matching address
  • Homestead exemption with matching address
  • Guardianship documents (issued by a Mississippi Court or the MS Dept. of Human Services
      Emancipation documents
  • Prior or Prior-prior year State income tax return
  • Current Mississippi Voter Registration Card
  • Current Motor vehicle registration (Persons moving into MS on a permanent basis have 30 days per state law to register vehicles).
  • Current employment documents (last pay stub, employment contract)
  • Current utility bills (include cell phones) with matching address
  • Lease agreement signed by a lessor and lessee (cannot be from a private homeowner)
  • For students admitted Fall 2013 or after, letters or affidavits from private homeowners, even if notarized, will not suffice as a residency document.
  • Signed statement by the MS Dept. of Human Services or a certified letter from recognized relief
    agency (such as the Salvation Army) certifying that the student is receiving services as a
    homeless MS resident.
  • U. S. Passport (along with other supporting documents)

Establishing U.S. Residency (Citizenship)

If you were born outside of the United States of America, you are out-of-country.

  1. Submit one of the following documents:
    • Green card (permanent resident card)
    • Naturalization papers
  2. Citizenship papers and follow and follow Step 2 above.

The following supporting documents can stand by themselves:

  1. Current signed letter or form from the Veterans Affairs School Certifying Officer
  2. The transcript of a minor (under 21 years of age) with a MS address showing 4 years of MS high school
    and graduation date
  3. Current Military orders for MS active military personnel
    These documents should guide you in asking residency questions, but are NOT in and of themselves proof of residency status:
    • Physical Mississippi Address (NOT a P. O. Box)
    • MS high school or college transcripts
    • MS GED (Beginning July 1, 2012), non-Mississippi residents can take the GED in Mississippi).
      • HSE may show address of student when HSE was taken
    • A Mississippi student who attended an out-of-state college may demonstrate MS residency by providing documentation that he/she was classified as an out-of-state MS resident at their previous educational institution.

Note: All supporting documentation must contain an address that matches the address in the student’s file. If you are minor, the residency documents must be in the name of the parent or legal guardian listed on your admission application


Financial Aid