Dual Enrollment


A dual enrolled student is a student who is enrolled in college while still enrolled in high school. Any high school student who meets dual enrollment admission requirements may participate. The student will first gain admission to the college, then be advised by a Hinds counselor who will help the student choose appropriate classes that fit around their high school schedule. Classes may be taken in day, evening, or online on any one of Hinds 6 campuses. Normal tuition and fees apply.

Dual Enrollment allows you to:

  • Earn transferable college credit from an accredited institution while still in high school
  • Ease into college classes now and have a smooth transition into college after you graduate
  • Reduce the number of college classes you’ll have to take after high school graduation
  • Save money – earn college credit at HCC for a lot less than at a four-year university

Dual Enrollment vs AP Courses

AP (Advanced Placement) courses are high school courses designed to prepare students for college-level course work. Students take an exam upon completion of an AP course. The score on that exam determines if a student will receive any AP college credit in that subject.

Dual enrollment courses are college courses in which a high school student enrolls. Upon completion of the course they will have widely transferable college credits on a college transcript. College credits do not depend on the score of an end-of-course exam; they are automatically awarded.

Admission to Dual Enrollment

  • Students must have completed at least ten (10) core high school units and must have taken the ACT or ACCUPLACER. ACT subscores or ACCUPLACER scores are used to place students in the appropriate courses.
  • Students with less than ten (10) core high school units may be considered for dual credit admission if they have at least a thirty (30) composite ACT score.*
  • Students must have an unconditional written recommendation from high school principal or guidance counselor.

    * Career and Technical Education dual credit students may not be required to meet the same core unit or minimum GPA requirements.

    How To Enroll

    • Complete a Hinds CC application.
    • Submit an official, signed high school transcript.
    • Submit official ACT scores (typically on the high school transcript) or take the ACCUPLACER test.
    • Submit a letter of recommendation from their high school principal or guidance counselor.

    Important Things to Know

    • No financial aid is available for dual credit students.
    • While dual enrolled, you are earning real college credit that will appear on your college transcripts and transfer to other colleges and universities. So, take it seriously, and do your best!
    • Dual enrolled students and Dual Credit students are subject to the same policies and guidelines as all other Hinds students. This means things like attendance policy, grading scale, etc. Check out the HCC student handbook for the full scoop.
    • Dual Enrollment does not affect scholarship OR athletic eligibility.
    • Tuition and other fees apply to Dual Enrolled students taking classes on a Hinds campus or in a Hinds online class. Tuition and fees are due by a specified deadline each semester, or a payment plan must be set up by this time.
    • For high school students taking Hinds courses on their high school campus for dual credit, tuition is free! However, students must pay a $100 non-refundable dual credit fee and purchase the college textbook if not provided by their high school.
    • Your college transcript will not be released unless your balance is paid in full. Transcripts are also not released without proof of completion of a high school diploma.


    P: 601-857-3212
    F: 601-857-3539

    Financial Aid
    P: 601-857-3223
    F: 601-857-3605

    Business Office
    P: 601-857-3205
    F: 601-857-1216