Satisfactory Academic Progress

To receive and maintain federal financial assistance, students are expected to maintain satisfactory progress toward the completion of an eligible academic or career-technical program of study. Failure to achieve satisfactory academic progress will result in the termination of the student’s federal financial aid. SAP is checked at the end of each semester.

Federal Financial Aid consists of:

  • Pell Grant
  • Direct Loans (subsidized, unsubsidized and Plus)
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Work Study

Students must pass a minimum percentage of all courses attempted and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) as determined and calculated by the Office of Records.

Hours Attempted- Minimum Required GPA (Qualitative) Minimum Required Completion Rate*
0-30 1.5 50%
31-93 2.0 67%
94 and above May not be Eligible** May not be Eligible**

* Completion rate:  The rate is calculated by dividing the number of hours the student has completed by the total number of hours the student has attempted (including withdrawals and failing grades).

**Maximum Hours/150%:  A student receiving financial aid is expected to complete their program of study within a time frame not to exceed 150% of the published length of that program.  For example, a program requiring 60 hours for a degree allows a maximum of 90 attempted hours (60 hours X 150% = 90).  If a student exceeds the 150%, they will no longer be eligible for federal financial aid.

Once a student has completed all courses required for their program of study, regardless of whether or not they have received their degree, the student is no longer eligible for federal financial aid.

Transfer hours from other colleges:  Credit hours transferred from a previous college will be counted toward the attempted and completed hours (quantitative).

Quality Point Average (Grade Point Average):  The quality point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total semester hours attempted. For example:

Course Sem. Hrs. Grade Points Quality Points
ENG 1113 3 x Grade A  (4  points) = 12
MAT 1313 3 x Grade B  (3  points) =  9
HIS 1113 3 x Grade C  (2  points) =  6
BIO 2513 3 x Grade B  (3  points) =  9
BIO 2511 1 x Grade B  (3  points) =  3
HPR 1111 1 x Grade B  (3  points) =  3
Total Sem. Hrs. 14 Total  Quality Points 42
Dividing 42 quality points by 14 semester hours attempted = 3.0 quality point average.


Financial aid warning:  Students who are not making SAP due to not meeting the percentage of hours attempted or earning the minimum GPA requirements at the end of the semester will be placed on financial aid warning for the next semester.  Students on financial aid warning are still eligible to receive federal financial aid for one additional semester.  If the student does not meet SAP requirements at the end of the next semester, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension and is no longer eligible for federal student aid.

Break in enrollment:  A student who experiences a break of enrollment, whether one semester or multiple semesters, will return with the same SAP status as their most recent semester at Hinds.

Financial aid suspension:  Students on financial aid suspension are no longer eligible for Federal Student Aid.  The student may pay their educational expenses out-of-pocket and attempt to regain eligibility with the SAP requirements, or the student may appeal the suspension if there are any extenuating or special circumstances that prevented them from meeting the SAP requirements.  The student can complete the appeal process in Workday. All appeals must be submitted no later than seven days prior to the end of the add/drop period each semester.

Pace of progression:  The chart demonstrates the pace of progression a tudent must maintain to ensure completion within the maximum time frame.

Hours Attempted Completion Rate Hours Passed Minimum Cumulative GPA
15 50% 8 1.50
30 50% 15 1.50
45 67% 30 2.00
60 67% 40 2.00
75 67% 50 2.00
90 67% 60 2.00
93 Generally not eligible Generally not eligible Generally not eligible


If the program of study requires more than 62 credits hours, the maximum number of hours the student may attempt will be the number of hours required by the HCC Catalog multiplied by 150 percent.

Withdrawals:  Withdrawals (“W” grade) for classes attempted will count as hours attempted.

Developmental Coursework:  Developmental studies coursework will not be included in hours attempted but will be included for GPA.

Incomplete course:  Grades of incomplete (“I” grades) will be treated as an “F” for both hours attempted and GPA.

Repeat courses: In order to improve the student’s grade point average, a student may repeat, for grade replacement, a course already taken at Hinds.  Each course may be repeated only one time for grade replacement.  A student may repeat up to eight (8) credit hours. The official grade will be the grade earned in the repeated class, even if the grade is lower than the first attempt, and will count toward the cumulative grade point average at Hinds.  All grade attempts remain posted on the Hinds transcript, but only the quality points and attempted hours of the 2nd course will be calculated in the GPA.  Some courses can be repeated for additional credit and cannot be replaced for a better grade (ex: Physical Education Activity courses, Music Lessons, Seminars). Developmental courses may be repeated for replacement.  The replacement grade policy is honored at Hinds Community College, but it may not be recognized by other colleges/universities or employers.

To raise a grade point average at Hinds Community College, the course must be repeated at Hinds. When a student transfers to another institution, the policy of the receiving institution will determine the student’s grade point average.

Note:  If a student has been academically dismissed or placed on academic suspension and wishes to appeal that status, they should contact the Office of the Dean of Students.  Completing an appeal for financial aid suspension will not correct their academic standing.

Notice of SAP status:  SAP is processed at the end of each semester and posted on the Navigator student portal. Emails regarding SAP status are sent to all emails addresses that a student has on file.

How to appeal financial aid suspensions: Appeals will be processed through Navigator and must be submitted no later than seven days prior to the end of the add/drop period each semester.

Changing program of study:  A student who has changed their program of study and begun another may complete an Evaluation of Credits and have their SAP status re-run for the new program of study.  A student will be eligible to change their program a maximum of two times for financial aid purposes.

When to submit Appeals and Requests for Evaluations

Students must submit appeals and requests to consider new programs of study to the Financial Aid Advisor for Appeals in accordance with the following dates for the 2023–24 academic year.

Spring 2024 Semester Summer 2024 Semester
Dates to submit Appeal and Requests for Evaluations for 16-week semester Dec. 11–Jan. 22
Dates to submit Appeal and Requests for Evaluations for 8-week semester Feb. 27–March 13 May 15–June 09

Questions/Answers about the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

I have an associate degree from Hinds Community College. Can I receive Financial Aid at Hinds CC to study another program of study?

Yes, you may receive financial aid to pursue an additional program of study. You must follow the steps outlined in the SAP Policy. Please note: Students may only receive on AA Degree in General Studies at Hinds Community College

I received my associate degree from another community college. May I attend Hinds CC and receive financial aid to take additional academic classes?

No, once you receive an associate degree from Hinds CC or any other community college, you are not eligible to receive federal financial aid to take academic classes which lead to an associate degree.

If I’m on financial aid warning, can I receive financial aid?

Yes, if you are on financial aid warning you may continue to receive financial aid. You must improve your overall GPA and/or Pace to avoid an unsatisfactory status. Please refer to the Hinds Community College Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for GPA and Pace requirements.

If my satisfactory academic progress status is unsatisfactory, can I receive financial aid? If it does become unsatisfactory, does this mean I have to pay for my classes out-of-pocket? What happens to financial aid that was awarded initially?

No, you cannot receive any type of financial aid (including Student Loans), if your status is unsatisfactory. Students are welcome to continue to attend Hinds CC providing they are eligible according to the academic standards. Students may pay their tuition/fees using cash/credit/check or they have the option of setting up a payment plan. Any aid that was initially awarded will be cancelled once the student’s status becomes unsatisfactory. Students may monitor their status on their My.Hinds account.

Where do I find the forms to file an appeal or request an evaluation of my credits?

All documents and forms are located on the Hinds CC website in the Costs & Aid section.


Financial Aid