Veteran Benefits

Most of Hinds CC’s programs, in accordance with Veterans Administration (VA) criteria, are approved by the Mississippi Veterans’ Affairs Board’s State Approving Agency and will lead to a college degree or approved certificate. A veteran can use any of the VA education programs, receive Federal Tuition Assistance, and other outside scholarship programs to assist with paying for college.

There are many different types of VA education programs and the benefits associated with each program vary from program to program. VA education programs mostly included a monthly housing allowance but in some cases, they can pay for tuition, books, and tutoring. In certain circumstances, educational benefits may be transferred to a dependent. All VA education programs are awarded by the Veterans’ Administration. For information regarding the VA process for educational benefits and to enroll in the VA’s GI Bill or other education programs please visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website or call 1-888-442-4551.

At each Hinds CC location, there is an academic advisor available to help you learn about Hinds CC and direct you to community and educational resources. However, the Veterans’ Service Office is located on our Raymond Campus. Veterans need to be aware that in most cases, Hinds CC’s concentration areas and learning experiences are approved for VA programs, but it’s always good to check with the Veteran Services Office to be sure that all courses are approved. Veterans receiving educational benefits must comply with Hinds CC and VA expectations, regulations, and Federal laws.

If at any time you need help applying for the VA education programs, discerning VA correspondence, or navigating the VA process please call Hinds’ CC Veteran Services or reach us by email at

Veterans with disabilities may be entitled to additional benefits. To learn about VA vocational rehabilitation benefits call 1-800-827-1000.


Naomi Shuff
Assistant Director of Veterans Services