Respiratory Care Technology
Preference Deadline: April 14
Application Closes: July 31
Our Respiratory Care Technology program is a two-year curriculum that prepares you with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
RRTs are primarily responsible for initiating cardiopulmonary resuscitation, along with the setup and monitoring of life support systems. They also provide treatment for heart and lung disorders by administering breathing treatments, medications, and oxygen. Additionally, RRTs perform diagnostic procedures such as arterial blood gas analysis, electrocardiograms, pulmonary function testing, and sleep studies.
In just two years, you can invest in a college education that will prepare you for your career. RRTs are critical members of the healthcare team. They work diligently, in cooperation with physicians and nurses, to participate in a variety of life-saving and life-supportive efforts for newborns to geriatric patients. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for RRTs is expected to grow 23 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Hinds Community College has a highly successful program. Our graduates are consistently successful on credentialing exams and traditionally experience a 100 percent job placement rate.
- Nursing & Allied Health
Important Program Information
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing/Allied Health counselor at 601-376-4807.
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
|Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Anatomy and Physiology II, Lecture & Lab||4|
|Respiratory Care Science||3|
|Patient Assessment and Planning||3|
|Cardiopulmonary Anatomy and Physiology||3|
|Respiratory Care Pharmacology I||1|
|Respiratory Care Technology I||6|
|Pulmonary Function Testing||2|
|Respiratory Care Technology II||4|
|Clinical Practice I||5|
|Clinical Practice II||3|
|English Composition I||3|
|Respiratory Care Technology III||4|
|Clinical Practice III||3|
|Respiratory Care Pharmacology II||2|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3|
|Clinical Practice IV||5|
|Respiratory Care Seminar||2|
|Public Speaking I or Interpersonal Communication||3|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3|
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College
- Application for selection to the Respiratory Care Technology Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, GED® equivalency transcript, or college transcript.
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 (15, if taken before October 1989)
- Applicant must be eligible to take MAT 1133 – Pre-College Algebra, or MAT 1134 – Pre-College Algebra as determined by the Hinds Community College Mandatory Testing and Placement procedure.
Completion of the following college courses:
- BIO 2511 – Anatomy and Physiology I, Laboratory and BIO 2513 – Anatomy and Physiology I, Lecture.
- BIO 2521 – Anatomy and Physiology II, Laboratory and BIO 2523 – Anatomy and Physiology II, Lecture
- MAT 1313 – College Algebra or BIO 2921 – Microbiology, Laboratory and BIO 2923 – Microbiology, Lecture.
All required courses must be completed with a “C” or above, and science courses taken prior to admission must have been completed within five years of entering the first Respiratory Therapy class.
- Effective for applicants applying for Fall 2022 applications will be available from March 1st thru July 31st.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have a score of 50 or higher on the rating scale and who complete the application procedure by April 15th.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes ACT composite with sub-scores; RCT Program prerequisite letter grades; highest previous certificate or degree; and military experience.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Respiratory Care Technology Program.
The Hinds Community College Respiratory Care Technology Program, CoARC Program Number 200026, located at the Nursing & Allied Health Center 1750 Chadwick Dr Jackson, MS 39204 (Jackson Campus) awards an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care “CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcomes based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented.” Prospective students can find CoARC contact information and view program outcomes data* by visiting the CoARC website.
For more information:
The CoARC’s main webpage www.coarc.com
Prospective Hinds Community College Respiratory Care Technology students can view Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) program outcomes data* by clicking on the following link: https://coarc.com/students/programmatic-outcomes-data/
*This data is self-reported by respiratory care programs to CoARC and reflects the aggregate data for the three year time period being reported.