Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Sonography is an imaging modality that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images for diagnosis. Our Diagnostic Medical Sonography program will train you to use imaging equipment and sound waves to generate images of the human body. You will be trained to create and analyze these ultrasounds.
Jobs in the diagnostic medical sonography ﬁeld include general sonography, cardiac sonography, vascular technology, and various subspecialties. The profession requires sound judgment and the ability to provide appropriate health care services. Sonographers are highly skilled professionals who are qualified by education to provide patient services using diagnostic techniques under the supervision of a licensed physician like a radiologist. The sonographer may provide this service in a variety of medical settings. Sonographers assist physicians in gathering data necessary to reach correct diagnostic decisions.
- Nursing & Allied Health
Entry-level salaries of registered diagnostic medical sonographers vary greatly per geographical location. Beginning salaries in the Jackson area and in the state range between $30,000 and $40,000 per year. Pay scales increase with experience and registries obtained. To further your career in the radiology field, diagnostic medical sonography would be an exciting first step.
Important Program Information
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the required data to:
Hinds Community College
Nursing/Allied Health Center
Office of Admissions
1750 Chadwick Drive
Jackson, MS 39204-3490
Submitting the information to any other Hinds Community College location will delay the processing of your file.
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College
- Application to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency).
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 19 (If taken before October 1989 – 16).
- Graduation from a JCERT Radiologic Technology Program (must include Radiographic Physics and Medical Terminology, as approved by the Program Chairperson).
- Verification of RTR credential by the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography class.
- Prerequisites to the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography course: College Algebra (MAT 1313), Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II with labs (BIO 2511, BIO 2513, BIO 2521, BIO 2523), English Composition I and II (ENG 1113 , ENG 1123), Public Speaking I (SPT 1113) or Interpersonal Communication (SPT 2173), Humanities/Fine Arts Elective, and a Social/Behavioral Science Elective.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a “C” or above by the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography class.
- Applications will be available from March 1 thru July 31.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 15th for Fall admission.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score, ACT Math and Reading sub-scores, highest previous certificate or degree; and military experience.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program.
The Hinds Community College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Committee for Educational Programs for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 – 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
JCR-DMS Contact Information:
Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500
Ellicott City, MD 21043
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.