You are on your way to graduation. An Associate Degree, Career or Technical Certificate from Hinds tells universities and future employers that you finish what you start. To apply for graduation, please log in to your My.Hinds and complete the electronic graduation application. Instructions for getting to the application are listed in the Graduation Application link below.
Students planning to graduate should submit a graduation application via My.Hinds by the last day to apply for graduation per the Hinds Community College calendar. No degrees or certificates will be awarded until all degree requirements have been met. A student may graduate under the requirements of the published catalog for the current year or under the requirements of the published catalog for the year the student began the Hinds Community College program of study in which he wishes to graduate.
A student may meet the requirements for graduation by complying with the following:
- Follow the General Program requirements for the Associate of Arts Degree, which are given in the “Academic Programs of Study” section of the Hinds Community College Catalog, or
- Select a specialized field of study and follow the curriculum which is outlined for it in the Hinds Community College catalog, or
- Comply with the catalog requirements of the first two years of a specified four-year accredited college or university to which the student will transfer. This transfer curriculum must calculate to 62 transferable hours. Fifteen of these transferable hours must be drawn from and include at least one course from each of the following areas: English; humanities/fine arts; social/behavioral sciences; and natural science/mathematics. The courses selected should be survey courses rather than applied courses.
- Associate in Applied Science Degree, Career Certificate, and Technical Certificate students are required to take an Occupation-Specific Assessment as part of their program of study, unless a program of study requires a certification or licensure examination for professional practice.
- A minimum quality point average of 2.0 is required in order to graduate. The 2.0 GPA may be calculated using either of the two following methods. Both of these calculations will only include courses completed at Hinds Community College:
- GPA of 2.0 calculated on all hours attempted
- GPA of 2.0 calculated only on courses required for graduation
Developmental courses may not be used to meet graduation requirements. If a student has met one of the above-mentioned criteria, he or she may transfer up to 46 semester hours back to HCC from a regionally accredited institution in order to receive a Hinds degree.
Note: Graduation exercises are held in the Summer, Fall and Spring semesters.
Picking Up Your Cap and Gown
Pick up your cap and gown at the campus you indicated on your application. Caps and gowns not picked up at the campus locations by the deadline can be picked up at your ceremony location on the day of the ceremony.
Your gown is a keepsake and does not have to be returned. Hang up your gown so the wrinkles will fall out. Be sure to bring all parts with you to the ceremony – cap, gown, tassel, velvet stole and any approved honor society stoles you may have acquired.
Instructions for the Day of Graduation
- Please note that only official Hinds Community College graduation attire shall be worn. Official graduation attire is that attire sanctioned by the college to be worn during graduation commencement exercises. Attire from national honor organizations, such as Phi Theta Kappa, is an example of approved attire.
- Your graduation cap should be worn flat on the top of your head with the tassel placed to the right, front side of the cap until your degree is conferred.
- You should report in proper attire, which includes dress clothes and dress shoes.
- Please do not wear corsages.
- Men, you should remove your graduation caps for the invocation and benediction.
When to Report
- There is no rehearsal for the commencement exercises. Therefore, unless otherwise specified, you must report at least thirty minutes prior to your assigned commencement exercise. You must be on time or you will not be allowed to march in the commencement.
- Graduates requiring special assistance should contact the District Admissions Office at 601.857.3212 to arrange special accommodations. A Hinds staff member will be available to assist graduates with special needs.
- Purses, cell phones, and other personal belongings should be left with family members or guests. You will not be allowed to take these items into the ceremony.
Walking Across the Stage
- When you walk across the stage, you will hand a card to a reader announcing your name. A vice president will be presenting students with a 3.2 or higher cumulative GPA with an honor cord. Another vice president will hand you a diploma cover, shake your hand, and say “Congratulations.” Please look at the vice president, say “Thank You,” and continue off the stage to your row and wait for the signal to be seated.
- You and your guests are encouraged to agree upon a meeting place outside of the building after the ceremony for family pictures and fellowship (weather permitting). The lobby area will be very crowded.
After the Ceremony
- There will be a photographer available before and after the ceremony for formal cap and gown pictures. The photographer will also be taking pictures of you as you receive your diploma cover on stage during the ceremony. You will be contacted by the photographer within a few days of the graduation via e-mail. This photographer is not affiliated with Hinds Community College.
- After the ceremony, please pick up your diploma where you checked-in. If there is an error in spelling or degree, please return to the area where you checked in so that your diploma may be reprinted after the correction is made.
- Hinds Community College is proud to announce the live stream of our commencement exercises. Current and previous commencement exercises can be viewed here.
- Please share this information with family and friends who may be unable to attend the ceremony. Hinds Community College is proud of your accomplishments and we take great joy in sharing this celebration with as many virtual guests as possible.
HSE Graduation Instructions
P: 601-857-3868 or 601-857-3914
Please check back for information regarding our HSE graduation.
Picking Up Your Cap and Gown
Hinds Community College
Hinds Community College
NOTE: You will receive your cap and gown first which you may wear for your photograph. You will be given further instructions at rehearsal.
Hinds Community College
NOTE: You must return your gown after the graduation ceremony. You will be billed for $40 if your gown is not returned. Please make sure your name is checked when you return your gown. You may keep your cap and tassel.
Suggested Attire for Graduation
All graduates should wear black shoes. Men should wear dark pants, white shirt and tie. Ladies should not wear large or gaudy jewelry. Ladies should wear dresses and neutral hose.
Photographs will be made immediately after graduation rehearsal on Friday, June 22, 2018. Men should wear a white shirt and tie for the photograph. All graduates will wear their cap and gown for the photo.
- The commencement exercise will start promptly at the scheduled time, so guests should report at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the commencement exercise.
- The doors to the main seating area will be closed 5 minutes prior to the start of the commencement exercises. Guests arriving after this time will be directed to a holding area as space is available. Live viewing of the ceremony will be available.
- To prevent crowded hallways, please do not accompany your graduate to the graduate check-in and assembly area. Please go directly to the main seating area to acquire a seat.
- Graduates will not be allowed to wear corsages or to carry personal items into the ceremony. Please assist them by holding these items for them until after the ceremony.
- Guests should stand during both the processional and the recessional parts of the ceremony. Please allow all graduates to exit the auditorium during the recessional before leaving your seating area.
- Please remind your graduates of their opportunity to have a formal cap and gown picture made with a photographer before or after the ceremony. Also, remind them of the opportunity to receive photos of them receiving their diploma on stage during the ceremony. Your graduate will receive proofs of these photos via e-mail within a few days of graduation for possible purchase. Your graduate will also receive proofs from the photographer several weeks after the ceremony. This photographer is not affiliated with Hinds Community College.
- Please hold the applause for your graduate until all of the graduates for that degree have been presented. This will allow those guests around you to hear their graduate’s name called. Your assistance withholding applause for individual graduates will aid us in properly recognizing each graduate participating in the commencement exercise.
- Hinds Community College is proud to announce the live stream of our commencement exercises. Current and previous commencement exercises can be viewed here. Please share this information with family and friends who may be unable to attend the ceremony. Hinds Community College is proud of your accomplishments and we take great joy in sharing this celebration with as many virtual guests as possible.