RAYMOND – Sixteen members of the Hinds Community College band are among students from a dozen state institutions of higher learning who have been selected to participate in the inaugural Mississippi Intercollegiate Honor Band.
The event is March 23-25 at Hinds’ Raymond Campus and includes three days of rehearsal culminating with a concert 1 p.m. Saturday, March 25 in Hogg Auditorium at Cain-Cochran Hall. Admission is free and open to the public.
Participating students were selected by audition earlier this year. Hinds students in the band are:
- Kaleel Brown, of Jackson, trumpet
- Reid Browning, of Pearl, percussion
- Sean Collins, of Florence, percussion
- Lindsey Garcia, of Pearl, clarinet
- Cody Gardner, of Vicksburg, percussion
- Tanner Gardner, of Vicksburg, trumpet
- Madalyn Harkness, of Ecru, alto saxophone
- Riley Irwin, of Florence, trombone
- Jennifer Keeter, of Jackson, clarinet
- Matthew Lewis, of Silver Creek, percussion
- Blake Lowman, of Brandon, French horn
- Patricia Nance, of Florence, trumpet
- Hudson Poole, of Crystal Springs, percussion
- Cole Smith, of Florence, percussion
- Raven Turbeville, of Pearl, French horn
- Destinee Waldrep, of Vicksburg, flute
In addition to Hinds, the state collegiate honor band participants represent Blue Mountain College, Delta State University, Itawamba Community College, Jones County Junior College, Mississippi College, Mississippi State University, Mississippi Valley State University, Northwest Mississippi Community College, Pearl River Community College, University of Southern Mississippi and William Carey University.
Over the course of the clinic, the students will receive instruction from guest clinician Ray Cramer, Indiana University professor and director of bands emeritus.
“We’re honored to host this inaugural event on the Raymond Campus,” said Shane Sprayberry, chair of the Music Department and Director of Bands at Hinds. “Our students will benefit greatly from rehearsing and performing with other musicians from colleges all over the state. It’s equally exciting to have Ray Cramer visit our campus. He is such a wonderful teacher and mentor to many band directors and students all over the United States.”
For additional concert information, call 601.857.3273 or visit www.hindscc.edu/band.
[tweetable alt=””]16 Hinds CC band members to play in first state honor band[/tweetable]