The surgical technology program is a one year program that prepares individuals to work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses and other surgical personnel before, during and after surgery. Surgical Technologists work extensively with surgical instruments, supplies and equipment to provide a safe surgical experience for each patient. The Surgical Technology program begins every August and lasts for one year (3 semesters).
Certified technologist can work in hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, surgeons’ office and in materials management or central processing. They are also qualified for the field of medical products and sales. To view jobs related to this program visit O*Net Online.
Information sessions are held at the Nursing/Allied Health Center on the first Friday of each month at 1 p.m., except holidays. These sessions will provide you with an opportunity to talk with faculty, counselors, and financial aid representatives and to tour school labs.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
Refresh Your A&P and Microbiology Courses
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing/Allied Health counselor at 601-376-4807.
- Application for Admission to Hinds Community College.
- Application for Selection to the Surgical Technology Program.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 (15 if taken before October 1989)
- Submit Selection Application and the above information to the Nursing & Allied Health Center.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the Application procedure by April 1, for fall admissions.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score, ACT Math and Reading subscores; SUT Program prerequisite letter grades; previous certificates/degrees; and military experience.
- Applicants selected into the program must attend a program orientation session.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new application for selection to the Surgical Technology Program.
- All notifications concerning admissions to the program will be made by mail and/or email.
Prerequisites for the First Surgical Technology Course
- Completion of the following college courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab (BIO 2513 and BIO 2511)
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab (BIO 2523 and BIO 2521)
- English Composition I (ENG 1113)
- Intermediate Algebra (MAT 1233)
- Humanities Elective
All required courses must be completed with a “C” or above, and science courses taken prior to admission must have been completed within five years of entering the first Surgical Technology class.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to follow – up on all documentation for your file and to make address changes.
Applicants may call our office at 601-376-4810 to confirm receipt of your documents. Prospective students may attend an information session on the first Friday of every month (except holidays) at 1:00 p.m.
For more information on the program and courses sequencing, please visit our website, www.hindscc.edu.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
6 W. Dry Creek Circle, Suite 110
Littleton, CO 80120