The Radiologic Technology Program is a two-year program that prepares individuals to perform imaging examinations prescribed by physicians to diagnose disease processes. Radiologic Technologists utilize equipment emitting ionizing radiation to produce radiographic images and provide for personal and patient safety from radiation hazards.
As a radiologic technologist, you can be part of a healthcare team by assisting the physicians in diagnosis of patient illnesses. You can choose an advanced career specializing in computer tomography, MRI, ultrasound, nuclear medicine or radiation therapy. Your starting salary can be between $42,000 – $50,000 per year.
After graduation from this two-year program, the student will sit for a national registry examination. The graduate must pass this examination in order to practice as a radiologic technologist. Also, the graduate must contact and apply for state licensure Mississippi Department of Health.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
Refresh Your A&P and Microbiology Courses
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing/Allied Health counselor at 601-376-4807.
This program accepts students once per year. The selection is based upon ACT scores, academic grades and personal interview.
- Complete the Hinds CC Application for Admission.
- Submit a program application to the Nursing/Allied Health Center by January 31st.
- ACT composite score 19 (16 if taken prior to October 1989) completed by January 31st
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- Completion of the following college courses with a grade of C or higher by January 31st:
- College Algebra (3 semester hours)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and Lab (4 semester hours) (not older than 5 years from start of RGT program)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II and Lab (4 semester hours) (not older than 5 years from start of RGT program)
- 18 years of age prior to admission date.
- Applicants must attend an orientation session with the application committee at which time the written communication component will be composed.
- Review the required Radiologic Procedure file by January 31st. Documentation will not be required for this prerequisite. For further information, please contact Jennifer Davis, Tiffany Smith or Laurie Cuevas.
The following courses are not required pre-requisites but are recommended to be completed prior to school year with a grade of C or higher:
- English Composition I (3 semester hours);
- Humanities Elective (3 semester hours);
- Oral Communications (3 semester hours);
- Behavioral/Social Science Electives (3 semester hours);
- Introduction to Computers (3 semester hours);
- Medical Terminology (3 semester hours).
All of the above courses will be required to be completed before graduation of Radiologic Technology program.
Interview selection with admission committee will be based upon written communication skills, academic GPA and ACT. For more information view our Interview Selection format.
Student selection for the program will be based on a rating score that includes a knowledge of a variety of radiologic procedures, interview, RGT program prerequisite letter grades, and ACT composite, including sub-scores. For more information view our Interview Evaluation form.
Process for Selection for Transfer Admission
- Transfer applicant must meet all requirements listed in the criteria for selection to the Radiologic Technology program.
- Transfer applicant must submit a letter of Good Standing and a written recommendation from a previous JRCERT Accredited Radiologic Technology program.
- Credit for transfer courses will be evaluated on an individual basis by the program Department Chairperson.
- Courses must coincide with Hinds Community College Radiologic Technology program’s curriculum time-frame.
- Transfer applicant must participate in a scheduled orientation session.
The Radiologic Technology Program is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.
The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, Illinois 60606-3182
Hinds Community College is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
It is the policy of the school that each student is made aware of any possible adverse effects of radiation on the unborn fetus (see Nuclear Regulatory Commission Regulatory Guide 8.13). Each student has the option of declaring or remaining private with her pregnancy. If the student does not declare a pregnancy, the program will maintain the Standards for Protection Against Radiation. If the student declares a pregnancy, in writing, she would have the option of:
- Continue with courses under the college policies – OR –
- withdraw from the program and defer to the following year.
- Continue with the program and have the option of having the clinical rotations reassigned to low-radiation areas during the first trimester and complete all phases of required clinical competencies during the remainder of pregnancy -OR-
- continue with the regular scheduled clinical rotations throughout the entire pregnancy. The declared student also has the right to withdraw her declaration of pregnancy (in writing) at any time. This is in accordance with federal and state law.
The American Registry of Radiologic Technology
1255 Northland Drive
St. Paul, Minnesota 55120