Our Practical Nursing program prepares you to assist in providing general nursing care requiring basic knowledge of the biological, physical, behavioral, psychological, and sociological sciences; and of nursing procedures which do not require the substantial skills, judgment, and knowledge required of a registered nurse. This care is performed under the direction of a registered nurse, licensed physician, or dentist. The graduate of the program functions as a provider of care, a member of a profession, and manager defined in the Mississippi Competency Model 1997.
- Our Generic option is offered in August and January at the Nursing & Allied Health Center, and in January on the Rankin and Vicksburg campuses. The application and file completion deadline for August is March 31st. The application and file completion deadline for January is September 30th.
- Our Part-Time Evening and Weekend option is offered at the Nursing & Allied Health Center beginning each summer term. The application and file completion deadline for this option is March 31st.
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
- Application for Hinds Community College
- Application For Selection to the Practical Nursing Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency), or college transcript. (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.).
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 with reading and math ACT subscores of 18 or above. A “C” or higher in College Algebra can be substituted for the 18 subscore in math. OR ACT composite score of 16 and TEAS® V for Nursing students with a score of Proficient Level.
- TEAS® Test Information:
- Register for TEAS®.
- The TEAS® test may be taken as many times as needed to score the proficient level. However, you must wait 30 days between exams.
- Must meet all current admission requirements;
- Do not have to provide a letter of good standing.
- For the Practical Nursing program night option selection is made once a year. Applications will be available January 1st thru March 31st with all admission requirements completed by March 31st.
- For the Practical Nursing program day option at the Nursing/Allied Health Center campus selection is made twice a year. For Fall, applications will be available January 1st thru March 31st with all admission requirements completed by March 31st. For Spring, applications will be available July 1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th.
- For the Practical Nursing program Vicksburg campus selection is made once a year. Applications for Spring will be available July1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th.
- For the Practical Nursing program Rankin campus selection is made once a year. Applications for Spring will be available July1st thru September 30th with all admission requirements completed by September 30th
- Individuals who have submitted all admission requirements by the specified deadline will be considered for program admission/selection based on a rating scale that includes: ACT composite score; ACT Math and Reading subscores; and highest previous certificate or degree. See Practical Nursing Process for Selection Rating Scale.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Practical Nursing Program.
The graduate is prepared to write the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). Licensing of the practical nurse is regulated by the Mississippi Board of Nursing. The program is accredited by:
Mississippi Community College Board
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
- Directions to Rankin Campus Location
11 Community College Blvd
Pearl, MS 39208