Our Practical Nursing program prepares you to assist in providing general nursing care requiring basic knowledge of the biological, physical, behavioral, psychological, and sociological sciences; and of nursing procedures which do not require the substantial skills, judgment, and knowledge required of a registered nurse. This care is performed under the direction of a registered nurse, licensed physician, or dentist. The graduate of the program functions as a provider of care, a member of a profession, and manager defined in the Mississippi Competency Model 1997.
- Our Generic option is offered in August and January at the Nursing & Allied Health Center, and in January on the Rankin and Vicksburg campuses. The application and file completion deadline for August is March 31st. The application and file completion deadline for January is September 30th.
- Our Part-Time Evening and Weekend option is offered at the Nursing & Allied Health Center beginning each summer term. The application and file completion deadline for this option is March 31st.
- Application for Hinds Community College
- Program Application For Selection to the Practical Nursing Program
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency), or college transcript. (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.).
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite of 18 with math and reading ACT sub•scores of 18 or above.
ACT composite 16 plus the TEAS V for Nursing students with a score of Proficient Level.
- Register for TEAS•V at www.atitesting.com. The TEAS-V exam may be taken as many times as needed to score the proficient level. However, you must wait 30 days between exams.
- Please contact a counselor at the Nursing/Allied Health Center if your ACT was taken before October 1989.
- Applicants who meet all admission requirements by the specified deadline will be considered for selection. See Practical Nursing Process for Selection Rating Scale.
For more information about the program or assistance with the admission process, call one of our Nursing/Allied Health Center counselors at
- 601-376-4802, or
- 601-376-4803, or
- the admission processor at 601-376-4812.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the required data to:
Office of Admissions, Nursing/Allied Health Center
1750 Chadwick Drive
Jackson, MS 39204-3490
Submitting information to any other Hinds Community College location will delay the process of your file.
The graduate is prepared to write the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). Licensing of the practical nurse is regulated by the Mississippi Board of Nursing. The program is accredited by:
Mississippi Community College Board
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
Nursing & Allied Health Center
Director of Practical Nursing
Dr. Audrey Murray
Director of Nursing, Rankin Campus
- Directions to Rankin Campus Location
11 Community College Blvd
Pearl, MS 39208
Practical Nursing Coordinator