Health Care Assistant
The Health Care Assistant Program prepares the individual to assist in providing health care as a member of the health care team under the direction of a health care professional. This curriculum references standards based on the State of Mississippi Nurse Aide Candidate Handbook Exam Content Outline. Graduates of the one-semester program will be awarded the Certificate of Health Care Assistant. Students who complete the program may qualify for employment as Homemakers, Nurse Assistants, Long-Term Care Aides, Home Health Aides, Sitter and/or Phlebotomists.
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College
- Application for selection to the Health Care Assistant Program.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript, high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency), or college transcript. (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT score of 16 (12 if taken before October 1989).
- For fall, applications will be available March 1st thru July 31st. For Spring, applications will be available September 1st thru January 1st.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 15th for fall admission and by October 31st for spring admission.
- Individuals who have submitted all admission requirements by the specified deadline will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score; ACT Math and Reading sub-scores; and highest previous certificate or degree.
- Applicants not selected for a class must reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Health Care Assistant Program.
- A limited number of placements are held for TAA-eligible applicants and students who have completed the TSHP program.