Emergency Medical Technician Course
We offer the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course each fall and spring semester. EMT is the entry-level and foundational course in emergency medical sciences, a one-semester course.
Students may choose either the afternoon or evening course, depending on availability. Students should apply early to ensure availability, but applicants are considered until the late registration deadline for the respective semester in which the student plans to enter the program.
Students completing the EMT course are eligible to take the EMT National Registry exam.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
- Complete the Hinds CC Application for Admission.
- Application for selection to the EMT Course Application for Selection to EMT Course.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 17 (14 if taken before October 1989); Students eligible for the Public Service Option may substitute a Next Generation ACCUPLACER Reading score of 246, ACCUPLACER Reading score of 76, or Compass® Reading score of 72; the Public Service Option requires an employer letter verifying employment in the field of emergency medical service, fire service, law enforcement, child service, or health care.
- Students must be 18 years old by the date of program completion.
Prerequisite to the First Clinical Course
- Must have completed all pre-requisite courses with a grade of C or better.
- Science courses taken prior to admission must have been completed within five years of entering the first paramedic class.
- EMT – Basic registration is a pre-requisite to Paramedic. Students must submit a current copy of the National Registry registration (copy of the National Registry card) as an admission requirement.
All requirements must be sent to:
Office of Admissions
Nursing/Allied Health Center
1750 Chadwick Dr.,
Jackson, MS 39204-3490
The Hinds CC EMS Paramedic program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions
301 Lakeview Parkway
Rowlett, TX 75088
Andrew Shelby, NRP, BA
Tammy Stewart, RN, NRP
Don Harmount, NRP