Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Sonography is an imaging modality, which uses high frequency sound waves to produce images for diagnosis. The diagnostic medical sonography profession includes general sonography, cardiac sonography, vascular technology and various subspecialties. The profession requires sound judgment and the ability to provide appropriate health care services. Sonographers are highly skilled professionals, qualified by education, to provide patient services using diagnostic techniques under the supervision of a licensed physician, usually a radiologist. The sonographer may provide this service in a variety of medical settings. Sonographers assist the physicians in gathering data necessary to reach correct diagnostic decisions.
Entry level salaries of registered diagnostic medical sonographers vary greatly per geographical location. Beginning salaries in the Jackson area and in the state range between $30,000 and $40,000 per year. Pay scales increase with experience and registries obtained. To further your career in the radiology field, diagnostic medical sonography would be an exciting first step.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the required data to:
Hinds Community College
Nursing/Allied Health Center
Office of Admissions
1750 Chadwick Drive
Jackson, MS 39204-3490
Submitting the information to any other Hinds Community College location will delay the processing of your file.
- Application for admission to Hinds Community College.
- Application for Selection to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 19 (If taken before October 1989 – 16).
- Graduation from a JCERT Radiologic Technology Program (must include Radiographic Physics and Medical Terminology, as approved by the Program Chairperson).
Prerequisites to the First Clinical Course
- Verification of RTR credential by the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography class.
- Prerequisites to the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography course: College Algebra (MAT 1313), Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II with labs (BIO 2511, BIO 2513, BIO 2521, BIO 2523), English Composition I and II (ENG 1113 , ENG 1123), Public Speaking I (SPT 1113) or Interpersonal Communication (SPT 2173 ), Humanities/Fine Arts Elective, and a Social/Behavioral Science Elective.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a “C” or above by the first Diagnostic Medical Sonography class.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 1st for Fall admission.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score, ACT Math and Reading sub-scores, previous certificates/degrees; and military experience.
- Applicants selected into the program are required to attend a scheduled orientation session.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program.
The Hinds Community College Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Committee for Educational Programs for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
JCR-DMS Contact Information:
Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500
Ellicott City, MD 21043