Veterinary Technology prepares you for careers in small, large and mixed animal practice, research, education, animal rehabilitation centers, animal rescue centers and zoological parks. Classes are held on the Raymond Campus. Graduates of the program are eligible for licensure as a certified veterinary technician and can sit for the Assistant Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification exam.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
New Applicants that are interested in the Veterinary Technology program must meet and complete the following requirements as applies:
- Student must complete a general application for admission to Hinds Community College and meet ALL admission requirements prior to interview date.
- Provide validation of high school transcript or GED equivalency transcript
- Send transcript from all colleges attended previously prior to applying to Hinds Community College
- Applicant must complete a Selection Application for Veterinary Technology Students in order to be considered for interview prior to the application deadline.
- Applicant must have successfully obtained a Level 3 English (English Composition 1) OR have a 17 or higher on the English portion of the ACT OR have scored 239 or higher on the English portion of the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER
- Applicant must have a score of 17 or higher on the ACT subscore for Reading OR have scored 246 or higher on the Next- Generation ACCUPLACER
- Applicant must have successfully obtained a Level 3 (Intermediate Algebra) or higher Math placement OR have a 16 or higher on the Math portion of the ACT OR have scored 225 or higher on the Math portion of the Next- Generation ACCUPLACER.
- It is highly recommended that applicants have work experience or shadowing experience in a veterinary practice prior to interview. (See observation document located on Veterinary Technology website)
- Applicants must complete a minimum of 35 hours of observation in a veterinary clinic prior to interview. Observation hours must be completed and the observation form submitted prior to the applicant’s scheduled interview.
Students that are reapplying for program must complete the following. Please note that a student will be allowed to reapply for the Veterinary Technology program only one time.
- Complete application to Hinds Community College and have met all admission requirements prior to interview. (If student has set out one semester he or she must reapply for admissions to the college.)
- Reapply students must complete a Selection Application for the Veterinary Technology program and interview with selection committee.
- Students that are reapply applicants must take an Improvement of Study Skills class (LLS 1413) either prior to the semester to which they will be reapplying OR take LLS1413 during the semester they reenter the program.
Important Veterinary Technology Dates for 2019
- Application Dates to apply for program March 1 – May 15, 2019
- Observation hours must be completed and turned in one week prior to assigned interview date, we will not accept observation hours the day of interview
- Have all transcripts sent to Hinds Community College Office of Admissions Records
- Interviews for the program will be scheduled June 3 – 14, 2019.
Dr. Kirby Sills
Director of Veterinary Technology
Administrative Assistant for Veterinary Technology