The Meat Merchandising Program is designed to prepare the student for entry level employment in the various related phases of processing, marketing, merchandising of meats, catering, and value-added products. Our program gives you training in beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and fish.
Students are given the opportunity to master the skills necessary for success in meat merchandising, which includes: Aging, Catering, Chilling, Curing, Cutting, Inspecting, Pricing, Processing, Sales, Sausage Making, Slaughtering, Smoking, and Quartering.
Meat Merchandising Building (Porter Hall)
Our facilities are designed to provide hands on experience in meat merchandising and catering. In our facilities you will find:
- Large cutting room equipped with the latest merchandising and catering equipment
- Walk-in cooler & freezer
- Large display room
- Large cooker-smoker
- Two classrooms
- Quality Control Laboratory
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
- Complete the Hinds CC Application for Admission and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- File an official transcript in the Office of Admissions and Records.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age and file an acceptable general aptitude test battery score with the Office of Admissions and Records.
- Be interviewed by the instructor in the Meat Merchandising Program.
Employment may be found in the area of retail meat merchandising in the chain stores and supermarkets with the possibility of advancement to such positions as market manager, meat supervisor, or meat buyer.
Other opportunities may include specialized jobs in:
- Packing houses,
- Hotel supply houses and jobbers,
- Food service centers,
- Specialty shops,
- And even the possibility of starting your own business.
The program faculty has helped place students in excellent jobs throughout the industry, and most students have jobs lined up and waiting when they complete the program.
Program Length & Start Dates
The Hinds CC Meat Merchandising program is completed in three semesters (one full year) and may be started at the beginning of any eight week segment.
Meat Merchandising Instructor