Welcome to the art department! In our department, students study a variety of media and their applications. Our broad-based program of study introduces students to exhibition resources, dedicated faculty, visiting artist lectures and demonstrations, as well as other professional activities.
Our facilities include:
- The Marie Hull Gallery, which hosts six exhibits each year.
- A computer lab that is fully furnished with 18 iMacs with a 27” 5k Retina display and Adobe CC software.
- Two drawing/painting studios furnished with Mabef Convertible Studio Easels.
- A photography darkroom for developing film and black & white prints.
- A pottery studio with a slab roller, extruder, 11 electric pottery wheels (Brent & Pacifica), 2 electric kilns, 1 gas kiln, and a Bailey de-airing pug mill/mixer.
- A design studio with a Conrad E-12 Etching Press and a Kutrimmer 1080 Papercutter.
In the art department, all students have the opportunity to experience the creative process from a practical as well as a theoretical approach. Freshman art majors are encouraged to apply for full and partial tuition scholarships. Students majoring in art can earn an Associate of Arts (AA) degree in general studies from Hinds in two years. The final coursework for a Bachelor of Art or a Bachelor of Fine Art must be completed at a four-year institution. For more information, please look at our program of study guide.
Courses Are Offered At These Locations
You can expect to take courses covering topics on Drawing, Photography, Ceramics, and Computer Art. For a complete list of courses, please see our college catalog.
Department Chair &
Marie Hull Art Gallery Director