Medical Laboratory Technology
Our Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) program will prepare you for a career in this specialized healthcare ﬁeld. MLT is a part of the healthcare team that provides the physician with information used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease or injury. These are scientists who hunt for clues to determine the presence or absence of disease. They also perform general tests in all laboratory areas—blood bank, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology—in order to determine the extent and cause of disease. 80 percent of medical decisions are based on these laboratory results.
This is an ideal career for individuals who enjoy limited patient contact, the security of job skills, and the possibility of advancement. Further education and clinical training enable you to become a medical technologist or specialist. There is a strong need for medical laboratory technicians, as approximately 40 percent of current laboratory professionals are within five to ten years of retirement. You will be prepared to ensure ongoing quality healthcare to communities in the state of Mississippi, and beyond.
Medical laboratory technology is an excellent pre-professional curriculum if you are interested in the medical ﬁeld.
- Nursing & Allied Health
When you complete the Medical Laboratory Technology program at Hinds Community College, you’ll have a variety of career opportunities before you. Employment opportunities are available for certified MLTs throughout the United States. You’ll be able to move anywhere and be employable. Full-time and part-time, days or nights—all options are available. Medical laboratory technician skills make you employable in a number of environments other than hospital laboratories. Technicians can be employed in private clinics, research labs, vet labs, industry, crime investigations, forensic studies, and public health facilities. MLTs can be instrument and product evaluators, equipment technicians, or lab information computer analysts.
Important Program Information
Did you take and pass your A&P and Microbiology courses more than 5 years ago? You can refresh your expired BIO sciences for a fraction of the cost and time required to repeat the traditional courses. We offer Proficiency Courses online, which are designed to be completed in a short period of time and at your own pace! For more information, please contact a Nursing/Allied Health counselor at 601-376-4807.
- DEGREES / CERTIFICATES
- Associate of Applied Science
- Application for Admission to Hinds Community College.
- Application for Selection to the Medical Laboratory Technology Program.
- Validation of high school graduation by official high school transcript or high school equivalency transcript (GED®, HiSET®, TASC™, or Mississippi Competency-Based High School Equivalency). (For currently enrolled high school students, an updated transcript, validating high school graduation, will be required prior to beginning the program.).
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, except Hinds Community College.
- ACT composite score of 18 (15, if taken prior to October 1989).
- Applicant must be eligible to take College Algebra (MAT 1313) and English Composition I (ENG 1113) as determined by the Hinds Community College mandatory Testing and Placement procedure.
- Overall GPA of 2.5 on transferable college credits or GPA of 2.5 on high school work (if no transferable college credits are available).
- Science courses taken prior to admission must have been completed with a “C” or above and within five years of entering the first MLT class.
- Math courses are taken prior to and after admission to the program must have a grade of “C” or above.
- The application for selection will be available from March 1st thru July 31st.
- Preference will be given to applicants who complete the application procedure by April 15th.
- Individuals who have submitted all required admission documents by the specified deadline will be considered for program admission based on a rating scale that includes: ACT Composite Score; ACT sub-scores; highest previous certificate or degree; and GPA.
- Applicants not selected for a class may reapply for subsequent classes by submitting a new Application for Selection to the Medical Laboratory Technology Program.
What better way to get to know Hinds than to come for a campus tour! We offer customized tours for all of our beautiful campuses. We also offer virtual tours. Come see what Hinds has to offer.
At Hinds CC it’s easy to apply, and there’s no application fee! We have an open-door admission policy that offers all students general admission to the college. Take the first step towards your future and apply today!
Speak with a Recruiter
We are here to guide you through the enrollment process and help you make a smooth transition to Hinds. We invite you to contact us with any questions regarding your admissions and enrollment.