Gateway to College
Gateway to College is a scholarship program designed for young people who are not on track to graduate or have left high school without a diploma. We are seeking to help students between the ages of 16 and 20 who have a desire to get their education back on track. Gateway is unique because students are able to complete a high school diploma while earning college credit toward an associates degree at Hinds Community College.
Gateway to College contracts with your local school district to offer you a scholarship to the program. The college courses are more flexible than high school courses.
All classes will be held on the Hinds Community College Rankin Campus and Vicksburg Campus.
We provide Resources Specialists that are in place to help guide you through the college experience. Your Resource Specialist serves as an academic advisor, helps you with career exploration, teaches you about organization and time management and provides you with referrals to community resources.
Changing your Life
Gateway to College can help you change your life. Students just like you are earning their diplomas, succeeding in college and pursuing exciting careers. You can choose a new path and create a bright future.
Accepting the Challenge
- Students are expected to attend 100 percent of classes.
- Students are expected to come to class on time, be prepared with class materials, have a positive attitudeGateway to College Students and complete all assignments.
- Students are expected to spend about three hours a day working on homework, outside of class time. We strongly encourage students who have jobs to consider the time demands of the program.
- Students are expected to keep a C average or higher in all classes.
- Students are expected to regularly contact their Student Resource Specialist.
- Students are expected to utilize the resources provided by the college such as, Math lab, subject tutors, etc.
- Students are expected to adhere to all Hinds Community College policies and procedures.
"HCC has been awarded a contract from Gateway to College National Network to plan and implement the Gateway to College Program. Gateway to College National Network receives support for this replication effort in part from The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, The Corporation for National and Community Service's Social Innovation Fund, and other funders."