Landscape Management Technology
The Landscape Management Department at Hinds Community College will be a nationally recognized premier provider of quality education where students gain skills necessary for successful employment in the landscape, irrigation and small engine and equipment repair industries. Leadership skills, professionalism, and skills development will be continual goals of the program for students and faculty. Growth in the program and curriculum will be determined by needs of the Green Industry.
Hands-On Learning: Green thumbs, being outside, and playing in the dirt…
Landscaping combines the joy of working outdoors with plants and the satisfaction of creating and maintaining attractive environments. Landscape managers take pleasure in the creative, artistic aspect of their work as they plan, design, and maintain the environments they care for. They must also understand business, marketing, management, sales customer relations, quality control, labor issues, and computer applications. The Landscape Management Technology program at Hinds Community College offers comprehensive training which prepares you for a rewarding career. You will gain exposure to many aspects of the industry: landscape design, construction, installation, and maintenance..
The Landscape Management Department offers instruction in these areas of the green industry:
- Landscape Management Technology (LMT)
- Small Engine & Equipment Repair (TEM)
The Landscape Management Department works closely with and has built a strong relationship with industry to assist students both in educational and financial assistance programs. There are available scholarships through the Foundation to students enrolled in the Landscape Management program. To qualify, a student must be enrolled in 15 semester hours each semester they receive a foundation scholarship along with maintaining a 2.5 GPA.
- Brandon Garden Club Scholarship in Honor of Janet McLaurin
- Brandon Garden Club Scholarship in Memory of Linda Ainsworth
- Gardeners of Jackson
- Green Industry*
- Jackson Council of Garden Clubs
- Metro Master Gardeners
- NALP-NCLC, National Collegiate Landscape Competition*
- Adams Garden Club of Jackson
- Rankin County Master Gardeners
- Raymond Garden Club
* The Green Industry Scholarship is an endowed scholarship from the Landscape Management Department for funds secured after hosting the 2003 ALCA Student Career Day event at Hinds Community College. The scholarship recognizes students who exhibit maturity and are goal-oriented in their pursuits and students who value active involvement in professional organizations, associations, and extra curricular activities while in college and Hinds Community College
* The NALP-NCLC Scholarship is an endowed scholarship from the Landscape Management Department from funds secured after hosting the 2003 ALCA Student Career Day event at Hinds Community College. This scholarship recognizes the student who placed the highest in the top 3 events they competed at NALP-NCLC, National Collegiate Landscape Competition each year of competition. If the student competes in more than 3 events, their ranking is based on their placing in their top 3 events.
- NALP (National Association of Landscape Professionals) Foundation
- Mississippi Nursery and Landscape Association - Walter E. Davis Scholarship
- Gardeners of America
- Davey Tree Arbor Grant
- Mississippi Turfgrass Association
- Southern Golf Course Superintendent's Association
There are other scholarships such as ACT and MTAG, as well as a student work study program available through Financial Aid.
Prior to graduation completion, students must take Freshman Orientation.
- In order to receive degree, students must take the MS-CPAS (Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System Exam) test prior to graduation.
- Students must successfully complete all requirements for required semester hours and maintain a "C" or better in all Landscape Management coursework.