Hinds Community College’s Career Services Center located on the 3rd Floor of Eagle Ridge Conference Center seeks to connect local employers who have job openings to current Hinds students or recent Hinds graduates who are seeking jobs in those fields.
The Career Services Center under coordinator Iyanna Colly serves as a liaison between the employers and the potential employees with job postings and job fairs. It also prepares Hinds students and graduates to talk to employers about those jobs. Colly can be reached at 601.857.3499 or at email@example.com.
STUDENT AND ALUMNI SERVICES:
JOB SEARCH PREPARATION and NETWORKING SKILLS:
We offer a variety of tools and resources to assist you in preparing for your job search. Those resources include providing assistance with resume and cover letter writing, interview preparation, rules regarding hiring policies, and all other tactics and strategies for guiding employment.
Networking is simply gathering information from and making contacts through the people you already know. Recruiting experts agree that a very small percentage of jobs are found by going through classified sections of the newspaper. In fact, around 80 percent of jobs are found through networking. The Career Center offers resources to help you create your network.
Click here to access our online job board to view open positions www.collegecentral.com/hindscc
RESUMES & COVER LETTERS and PROFESSIONAL DRESS:
Your resume should be a tailored document that highlights your education, work experience and skills. It should provide a summary of your qualifications for a job, internship, scholarship, assistantship, co-op, or other position. Think of it as a personal brochure that markets you! The Career Center offers resume and cover letter writing classes and consultations, as well as interviewing skills workshops that will help you develop your brand.
Interviews allow employers to assess you as a complete person, rather than just your qualifications on the printed page. Employers want to gauge whether or not you would be a good “fit” for their organization. This is also an opportunity for you to find out the same thing about the employer. Most employers consider the interview to be the most important part of the hiring decision. Come to the Career Center to see how you can begin preparing for your interviews. We will conduct mock interviews with industry professionals or if you prefer, you can schedule a one on one consultation.
ON-CAMPUS INTERVIEWS, AND JOB FAIRS
The Career Center brings employers to campus to interview students. The center staff has strategically recruited employers that have open positions. All students are eligible to participate in these recruiting events.
SERVICES FOR EMPLOYERS
There are several ways to recruit quality students here at Hinds. We have provided a list of these opportunities below. If you are interested and/ or have a question about any of these services please contact our office. We will be happy to help.
- We host several job fairs throughout the academic year. Each fair is customized to target specific majors and fields of study.
- Spend time on campus visiting classes and faculty members in the majors interested in recruiting. Speak to a variety of classes in 15-20 minute increments.
Student Information Booths
- A booth is set up in a common area on campus. This provides opportunity to network and meet with students on a larger scale.
- Conduct on-campus interviews with targeted students that are pre-screened.
On-line Jobs’ and Internship Posting
- Post position openings on Career Services’ on line recruiting site website, College Central You can register and/or Log-in by clicking here www.collegecentral.com/hindscc
SERVICES FOR FACULTY
As Hinds faculty/staff, we encourage you to utilize the services and programs offered by Career Services. We serve as your source for professional development for your students.
Our presentation topics include:
- Introduction to the Job Search
- Writing a Resume & Cover Letter
- Interviewing 101: How to be a STAR in your interview
- Backpack to Briefcase: What to Expect After Graduation
- Professional is as Professional Does: A "how to" on Professional Behavior