The Hinds Community College Writing Center is a free tutorial service for students enrolled at any HCC campus or branch. Working individually with students, staff members spend as much time as is necessary to diagnose and solve grammar and writing problems as well as assist students with higher-level composition issues. Though Writing Center consultants cannot proofread or edit papers, they can offer review and practice or help with research, organization, and documentation.
All Hinds students, regardless of the subjects and class levels they are enrolled in, are invited to use the many resources available in the Writing Center. The ultimate goal of the Writing Center is to help students discover how to become independent, proficient writers.
- Walk-in tutoring for Developmental English and Reading through Comp 2
- Computers reserved for English students with required programs for English homework
- Extra worksheets and handouts available for some common, troublesome topics
- An excellent place to practice English skills or work on English assignments
Locations and Hours of Operation
The Writing Center in located in Cain-Cochran Hall, Room 140 on the Raymond Campus and George Wynne Hall, Room 212 on the Rankin Campus. The hours of operation are:
Fall 2016 Hours
Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 7:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. | 1:00 p.m. - 2:50 p.m. | 4:30 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. | 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. | 4:30 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. | 12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
The Writing Center serves students in the order they arrive. Contact the Writing Center tutors at 601-857-3356, or learn about Writing Center happenings and events by following @hindswriting on Twitter.
Click here to schedule an appointment in the Writing Center. Send your name, instructor’s name, and date and time of requested appointment.
To be prepared for tutoring, students should
- sign in upon arrival in the Writing Center and sign out when finished
- request to use a laptop if desired (laptops must remain in the Writing Center at all times)
- bring assignment, referral sheet, work in progress, or graded writing assignment for reference
- know instructor’s name, course, and requirements of the course (if needed for the assignment)
- plan enough time to accomplish the work necessary in the Writing Center
- be attentive and engaged in the tutoring process
The Writing Center Provides
- Professional tutors
- Practice worksheets
- Grammar handbooks
- MLA and APA style guides
- Access to grammar websites
- Laptop computers with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher
- Internet access for academic use
- Printing for academic papers and research materials
- Group workshops on special grammar and writing topics
- A comfortable environment for student writing and research projects
The Writing Center Consultants will
- Review grammar with students
- Help students gather ideas and organize information
- Help students use library databases
- Explain documentation styles
- Help students complete applications, write resumes, and format documents
- Tutor one-on-one and in workshop settings
- Monitor use of laptops, printer, and other Writing Center resources
The Writing Center Consultants cannot
- Proofread for sentence-level errors
- Show students specific errors to fix in their papers (outside of tutoring about those errors)
- Revise, edit, or in any way fix or type papers for students
- Guarantee specific grades
- Knowingly contradict instructor assignments, instruction, and expectations
The Writing Center has useful information and a list of resources for students available on the My Hinds page under the Student Services tab. Writing Center information can also be found by following @hindswriting on Twitter.