SNAP Employment & Training Program
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment & Training (SNAP E & T) is intended to assist eligible SNAP recipients by providing tuition assistance for career and technical training. SNAP recipients who are not eligible for Pell grants, or other federal grants, or scholarships may receive tuition assistance while enrolled in a career or technical program of study at Hinds Community College.
· Must be a SNAP recipient
· Must not be receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
· Must be between the ages of 16 and 59
· Must be a U.S. citizen and a resident of Mississippi
· Must be registered for work with the MS Department of Employment Security
· Must have a high school diploma or GED
· Must not have a drug-related felony since August 22, 1996
· Must not be a fleeing felon
· Must not live on campus and be required to purchase a meal ticket
· Enroll in a career or technical program of study at Hinds Community College.
· Apply for federal grants and scholarships. (You cannot receive SNAP E & T tuition assistance if eligible for Pell, other federal grants, or scholarships. You must submit a FAFSA each school year.)
· Submit a SNAP E & T application to the local MDHS county office, along with verification of enrollment in a career or technical program.
· Complete a telephone interview with the MDHS case manager.
· Meet with an advisor at Hinds Community College.
· Participate satisfactorily and remain in good standing at Hinds Community College.
· Provide documentation, as requested, verifying progression/participation and good standing status.
Not currently a SNAP recipient?
If you are currently not a recipient of SNAP benefits, you may apply at your local county MDHS office. For more information regarding SNAP eligibility, visit http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients
· Apply for the SNAP E&T program - Call your local MDHS county office or print an application at www.mdhs.state.ms.us
· Submit the application to your local MDHS county office
· Or, contact Shane Brown at Hinds Community College at 601.857.3431
· The SNAP E & T program was developed by the Mississippi Department of Human Services (MDHS), Division of Field Operations (DFO), and the Mississippi Community College Board (MCCB)
· The SNAP E & T program will cover tuition only for career and technical programs of study
· Academic courses are not covered by this program
· Online courses are covered if courses are approved by the MCCB
Participation is limited to a lifetime maximum of 3 years.