departments and programs of study at Hinds Community College
Hinds HEROES Award Nomination
Career and Technical programs at Hinds   ONE & TWO YEAR CAREER & TECHNICAL PROGRAMS

academic programsAcademic Programs

Academic students are those who schedule course work to meet requirements for graduation from Hinds Community College with an Associate in Arts degree (AA) and/or to transfer course work to a senior college in pursuit of a Baccalaureate degree. An academic student may earn an Associate in Arts degree in one of two ways:

Complete the General Program of Study as listed in the catalog, or;

Complete the first two years of any baccalaureate program of study found in any four-year college or university catalog which has become effective since the student began his/her college studies. Although one may pursue degrees in these areas of study, the diploma issued by Hinds Community College will read "Associate in Arts degree" with no reference to a major.

Students who plan to enter Mississippi public universities should be aware of the transfer requirements that may apply in their particular cases. These requirements vary with age, ACT score, high school preparation, and high school GPA.

Generally, one-half of the hours required for a bachelor's degree may be transferred from a community college and applied to that degree at a four-year college or university. Hinds Community College maintains a close working relationship with all Mississippi senior colleges to insure that all academic courses which are intended to transfer will do so. Individual articulation agreements are maintained with selected colleges as well as a formal overall Articulation Agreement between the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning and the Mississippi State Board for Community and Junior Colleges, outlining over 160 articulated programs of study.

Because of the wide variety of program requirements among the senior colleges to which Hinds academic students transfer, this page does not contain specific academic programs. Instead, listed here are some of the program areas that a student may pursue at Hinds.
Note: the "Pre-" denotes pre-professional programs (e.g. Pre-medicine involving college-level courses and are valid majors at HCC).

Academic Departments:

2 plus 2 4 year college transfer2 plus 2 and Senior College Transfer

Senior College Transfer
An articulation agreement is an understanding between two colleges that a course offered at one institution will be accepted for transfer credit at the partnering institution. Articulation agreements help students take the right courses at the community/junior college that will transfer for credit toward a bachelor's degree at the university of their choice. An articulation agreement exists between Mississippi's eight public universities and Hinds CC so your credits will transfer. Visit our senior college transfer page to learn more about transfer requirements and programs of study.

2 Plus 2 Agreements
Hinds Community College partners with local four-year colleges or universities to offer 2 + 2 programs. These are programs in which Hinds provides the first two years of instruction and the university provides the last two years. The student ends up with a bachelor's degree at the end of four years. 

adult educationAdult Education and Dropout Recovery

The Hinds Community College Dropout Recovery Initiative is a focused, strategic plan to increase the educational attainment level of working-age Mississippians without a high school diploma, while also increasing their employability by offering short-term skills training and certification, and incentives for enrollment in college-level programs.

We offer Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs and the General Educational Development (GED®) test, along with test preparation. These programs are excellent opportunities for individuals who do not hold a high school diploma or those who are interested in upgrading their education level for enhanced career opportunities. At Hinds, we hope you find the flexibility and support you need to continue your education, start a new job or build a better life! 

A variety of ABE courses, GED® testing dates and locations are available. Please see the links below to learn more about program eligibility, testing schedules and GED® scholarships.

economic development and workforce trainingEconomic Development and Workforce Training

The Division of Economic Development and Training offers a wide range of business, educational, governmental and community services. We offer training programs, workforce development, the Hinds Community College Small Business Development Center and International Trade Center and more! For more information about how we can help your business thrive, visit the pages below.


student servicesStudent Services

administrativeAdministrative Services and Departments

Locations and FacilitiesLocations and Facilities