Valedictorian and Salutatorian Scholarship
Hinds Community College is proud to offer a full tuition scholarship to eligible high school seniors graduating from high school as Valedictorian or Salutatorian.
To be eligible for a Valedictorian or Salutatorian Scholarship, the following criteria must be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services on the Raymond Campus by a priority deadline of July 1:
- Application for the Valedictorian and Salutatorian Scholarship
- Proof of graduation from an accredited high school in Hinds, Rankin, Warren, Claiborne, or Copiah County
- An official high school transcript verifying class rank as one or two
- Be admitted to the college as an in-state student
- Have a standard high school diploma
- Be a first-time entering freshman (Hinds must be the first college you attend after receiving your high school diploma.) Students are still eligible for a Valedictorian or Salutatorian scholarship if they:
a. Attend summer school prior to enrolling at Hinds CC as a full-time student
b. Participated in dual enrollment/dual credit classes before receiving a high school diploma
Requirement for recipients to receive the Valedictorian or Salutatorian Scholarship*:
- Enroll in a minimum of 15 credit hours by the end of the drop/add period for the 16 week term. Please note: Scholarship funds for that semester and following semesters will be forfeited if students do not enroll in and have their presence recorded in 15 or more hours.
Requirements for recipients to maintain the Valedictorian or Salutatorian Scholarship*:
- Successfully complete 12 or more credit hours during the semester in which you are receiving the scholarship.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above.
Awarding of Valedictorian or Salutatorian Scholarship*:
- Valedictorian and Salutatorian Scholarships are awarded for four consecutive Fall/Spring semesters (This scholarship does not cover summer terms.).
- The appropriate award amount will begin transmitting to the scholarship recipient’s account 10 days prior to the first day of classes to pay tuition and fees, unless otherwise stipulated by the department granting the award.
- If students have grants and scholarships in amounts greater than the total charges, the remaining amount will be refunded to the students’ account according to the disbursement schedule published by the Financial Aid Office. Students should review their My.Hinds self-service account periodically to view their charges and awards.
*Valedictorian and Salutatorian Scholarship recipients must also abide the Hinds Community College Scholarship Policies. For more information call 601.857.3767 or 1.800.HINDSCC