Residency Information


Welcome to the Office of Admissions and Records! The Mississippi Community College Board requires our college to collect residency information on our students.

Upon review of your admission application, your state residency will be determined. Students who are classified as non-Mississippi residents will be subject to out-of-state tuition and fees.

  • Residency of minors (students under 21 years of age) is determined upon the residency of your parent or legal guardian. If parents of minors move out-of-state during a student’s enrollment, the student will be classified as an out-of-state student.
  • If you are currently a Mississippi resident, but the last school you attended was out of state, you will be classified as an out-of-state student until you submit residency documents.
  • If you were born outside of the U.S., you will be classified as an out-of-state student until you prove both Mississippi and U.S. residency.
  • If you are classified as an out-of-state student, the Office of Admissions and Records will notify you by email and provide you with the opportunity to prove Mississippi residency no later than mid-term of the semester in which you enroll. You will be charged out-of-state tuition and fees until you prove residency.
  • However, establishing Mississippi residency after mid-term of the semester in which you are enrolled will not affect your tuition and fees. Residency must be established before mid-term in order to qualify you for in-state tuition and fees.

Residency documents may be emailed to or brought to an Admissions Office at any Hinds location. For questions or assistance, please call our District Office of Admissions and Records at 601.857.3212 or refer to our online college catalog.

2 Steps for Establishing Mississippi Residency

  1. Submit a copy of your Current Mississippi Driver’s License or Mississippi State Issued ID. 


  1. Submit one of the following documents:
    1. Mortgage document
    2. Lease agreement signed by a lessor and lessee (cannot be from a private homeowner)
    3. Homestead exemption
    4. Guardian documents issued by a Mississippi Court (must provide two forms of residency documents on the guardian)
    5. Emancipation documents
    6. State income tax return (prior year or prior-prior year)
    7. Employment documents (current paystub with address)
    8. Current utility bills
      1. Gas
      2. Electric
      3. Water
      4. Landline phone/Cell phone
      5. Dish/DIRECTV/Cable
    9. Current motor vehicle registration
    10. Mississippi Voter Registration Card 

Note: All supporting documentation must contain an address that matches the address in the student’s file. If you are minor, the residency documents must be in the name of the parent or legal guardian listed on your admission application.