Info for Parents
Parents, this is an exciting time for you and your student! We understand the important role you play in making college decisions. Hinds is an excellent college choice because we offer quality education at an affordable price that is close to home. Whether this is your first experience as the parent of a college student or you are a “seasoned” parent having sent other students to college, we are here to answer any questions you may have. Call us if we can help you in any way, and check out these Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I pay for college? Over 85% of the Hinds student body receives financial aid in the form of grants, loans, work study, and scholarships including a tuition waiver for GED recipients’ first college class. Visit our financial aid page to find scholarship applications, deadlines, and more.
2. When should my child apply for admission? There is not a deadline for admissions, but if your child is a Senior in high school, now is a great time to apply. If they are applying for scholarships, their admissions application must be received before March 1st.
3. How does my child choose a major? Many college freshman are undecided about a major. Counselors at all 6 Hinds locations are here to advise students on majors and career choices. They can also assist them in taking our career assessment.
4. When does my child register for classes? Once an applicant has met all college admission requirements, they can register at any time during our Open Registration period. Early registration is encouraged. Once a student is advised, they can utilize online registration for future semesters. Check out our important dates to find out when registration begins.
5. What about housing? Live close where the action is. Hinds Community College has men’s and women’s residence halls on both the Raymond and Utica campuses. With easy access to classes, learning resources, athletic events, and student activities, your child can take advantage of what Hinds CC has to offer and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. Early application is encouraged with a deadline of June 15th. Check out student housing for more information.
6. When is tuition due? Tuition and fees are due by a specified deadline each semester. By the payment deadline, students must have paid in full, have entered into a payment plan, or have financial aid award on file sufficient to cover the entire balance.
7. Which campus should my child attend? Hinds offers six great locations. If you live in one of the five counties that we serve, Hinds, Rankin, Warren, Claiborne and Copiah, you are no more than 30 miles from one our campuses. If your child is looking for that full college experience, consider the Raymond and Utica campuses where the residence halls are located. Also, consider that some programs of study are offered at select campuses. Don’t forget that we offer hundreds of online courses that can be taken from the convenience of your own home!
8. What is dual enrollment? Dual enrollment means that your child is taking both high school and college courses at the same time. Your child can take academic classes at a Hinds campus near you, or take online classes. Many high schools in our district participate in a Dual Credit program in which Hinds courses are taught in the high school. Both high school and college credit are given for these dual credit courses – plus tuition is free if your high school is a participant! Call 601.857.3767 for more dual enrollment information and check out dual enrollment admission requirements.