Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for housing?

Submit the housing application with a $50.00 non-refundable room reservation fee to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. New students will be notified of their room assignment during summer orientation and notifications will be mailed to returning students in June for the Fall and December for the Spring.

When should I apply for campus housing?

With the increase in demand for housing at Hinds CC, we recommend that you apply for housing as soon as possible. Early application enhances a student’s chance of securing a room.

Do residence halls stay open when Hinds Community College is closed?

The residence halls close at the end of the Fall semester (December) and reopen at the beginning of the Spring semester (January) and also at the end of the Spring semester (May). The residence halls also close for Spring Break in March and the Thanksgiving holiday in November. Check the college calendar for specific dates.

Is it possible to live in my room during holidays and semester breaks?

All residents are encouraged to go home and visit their families during holidays and interim periods. If you have extenuating circumstances, permission may be granted to live on campus during holidays and semester breaks for an additional charge. For safety and security, you may be assigned to a new room for this period of time. You must request permission one WEEK prior to the college closing for a holiday or interim period.

What if I get placed on a wait list?

In some instances, students who are applying late may be placed on a wait list for campus housing. While this can be concerning, the wait list is not necessarily an indication that they will not receive a room assignment. Historically, throughout the summer a number of students who have completed a housing application will cancel their room assignment, thus opening up spaces for students on the wait list. Housing officials will carefully consider trends from previous years and will communicate with wait listed students throughout the summer about status updates.

What furniture is provided in my room?

Most rooms have at least a twin size bed, desk and chair, a chest of drawers and closet for each person.

Can I hang pictures, mirrors, etc., with nails or screws?

You may hang pictures and mirrors in your room but NOT with nails or screws. Students may use a non-damaging wall adhesive. Any holes or missing paint found in a student’s room will be noted, and a fine will be charged.

Who manages the residence halls?

Each residence hall is supervised by a live-in Hall Director, who is responsible for implementing the residential life program within your residence hall. Each floor has a Resident Assistant, who assists the Hall Director. Each residence hall has a Residence Hall council, which fosters a sense of community within and between the residence halls. It is composed of students from that hall, who help plan academic, community service, recreational and social programs.

What happens if my personal property is damaged?

Hinds Community College assumes no liability for damage or loss of personal property. Books, clothing, electronics, and other personal items will not be replaced by Hinds Community College regardless of the cause of damage or loss. To make sure your items are protected from theft, fire, and flood, you are encouraged to purchase property or renters insurance through your homeowner’s insurance policy or through an independent agent.

How do I get a problem in my room repaired?

When something breaks in your room or something is not working in a residence hall such as a sink or shower, you should notify your Resident Assistant. From there, the problem is reported to the maintenance staff and fixed as soon as possible. Our office as well as the maintenance office is open from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., most repair request after these hours will be put on the next day’s agenda. If there is an emergency, please contact your Resident Assistant or your Hall Director.

What is the alcohol policy?

Hinds Community College is a dry campus. In accordance with campus regulation, serving, consuming, possession, being under influence or the display of an alcoholic beverage is not permitted.