Hinds Community College: A History
Dr. Ben H. Fatherree, a Clarke County native, is a seventh-generation Mississippian. After graduating from high school in Quitman, he earned bachelor's and master's degrees in history from Mississippi State University in 1969 and 1970 respectively. He began teaching at Hinds Junior College in Raymond in 1970 and has been associated with the institution since that date. In 1976 he did doctoral research as a Visiting Scholar at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace at Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif., and in 1978 received a Ph.D. in history from Mississippi State. The following year he studied as a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow at Columbia University in New York City.
In addition to teaching at Hinds on a full-time basis, in the late 1980s and through the 1990s Fatherree worked on a part-time basis for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Vicksburg penning numerous articles in addition to full-length histories of the Corps' activities in hydraulics engineering and geotechnical engineering.
Fatherree retired as Chair, History Department, Hinds Community College Raymond Campus in 2001, but remained active as an adjunct instructor. In 2005 Hinds President Dr. Clyde Muse granted him a contract to write a detailed history of the institution from its origins as an agricultural high school in 1917 through its evolution into a giant in Mississippi education, now enrolling more than 17,000 students at six major locations.
The Web pages with the Hinds history are digested from a series of articles Fatherree wrote for On Campus, a Hinds monthly employee news magazine.